Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th February 2013, 09:48 PM

Default Late night Mel - Syd flight diversions - Thu 28/2

Just noticed a short time ago that a number of late night Mel - Syd flights have only made it half way back to Sydney before being turned around and sent back to Mel.

From memory QF 494, VA 891 and 895, plus a Jetstar flight have all returned to Mel.

I have no idea why. Sydney has light to steady rain but nothing overly obnoxious to interfere with airport operations..

These planes would have had time to go the distance with most of them being turned around by 10pm mid flight.

Any clues?
Old 28th February 2013, 10:17 PM

Hi,

My wife was on VA879. Sat on YMML tarmac for an hour, circled for 30 mins before touching down just over 2hours behind...

They were told delayed departure was to to "adverse weather" in Sydney, and circling due to traffic conjestion...
Old 28th February 2013, 10:39 PM

If it is as it seems, I have just finished watching a scandalous display of bloodymindedness.

Virgin flight 540 ex Coolangatta was on final approach to Sydney over Leichhardt when at 2302 it suddenly veered away to the southeast.

It is now at 38000 ft heading NE just over Taree.

Unless there is another reason, this flight seems to have been turned away only 60 seconds short of landing, and would have hit the ground at 2303!

It would seem that the flight is being made to return all the way the Coolangatta with its load of passengers, who will consequently suffer extensively for this.

How can this be in the best interests of anybody other than a few precious residents under the flight path who would have been, and pretty much already were, inconvenienced by a mere couple of minutes ...BIG DEAL!

The fact that the Federal Minister concerned is also the local member surely has to be an unacceptable conflict of interest.

At the same time as this, a Singapore Cargo 747 took off at 2307, followed a moment later by QF21 to Narita.

This bloke will one day press the wrong person's buttons, and finish up taking a slug (either type) for allowing this sort of stuff!
Old 28th February 2013, 10:48 PM

Hi Jeff... OOL for that flight would require a dispensation for the OOL curfew. At face value BNE seems more likely? Cheers, Rowan
Old 28th February 2013, 11:15 PM

Went to BNE
Old 28th February 2013, 11:21 PM

Yep... just touched down in Bris at 0013.

What now .... 3 hours sleep in a plastic gate lounge chair before being herded back onto the plane at 0430.

Sleepwise, it'll take these people until Saturday morning to get back to normal, let alone the inconvenience of walking around like zombies all day tomorrow, just so the flight path residents didn't have to endure three minutes of post curfew noise!

Sydney ...the global city and gateway to Australia. What an absolute joke!
Old 28th February 2013, 11:34 PM

EK414 A6-ECM diverted to Melbourne

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 1st March 2013, 04:01 AM

Another example of the stupidy of the certain minister and the NIMBYS. Airlines cant control the weather and yrt it costs the airlines passengers because of curfew. Sydney Airport is an embarrassment
Old 1st March 2013, 06:31 AM

Yep I concur Jeff. I have been in the same situation before where it was the weather in Melbourne that caused us the delay, the crew pushed and pushed to get us to Sydney before curfew, we flew over Kurnell and now over the water (I'd say maybe 500ft) only to be told we missed out coz of curfew and we then diverted to Brisbane! I would have thought we'd make more noise going around!??
Old 1st March 2013, 08:35 AM

I was thinking the same thing Chris... 60 secs from touchdown you're over water, so surely the GA only generates MORE noise over the suburbs north and maybe east of the airport? With all the tracking etc available to ATC these days wouldn't it have been more appropriate to advise the crew it wasn't going to be possible to get them into SYD pre-curfew so that the diversion could've been enacted earlier (perhaps even early enough to get back into OOL so that OOL residents could return to their own homes)?