Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2010, 08:47 PM

Default Proposal: MyFlight - Makes My Travel Easier

Whilst NSW Government is trying to introduce a new set of tickets from 18th April for ground transport, I just came out with an idea of introducing commuter tickets on domestic aviation travel.

Why MyFlight?

- Flexible Flight Options
- Cheaper Fare for frequent, last minute commuters
- Reduce waiting time and queue on sales desk
- Airlines can use this to retain customer's loyalty - At least for his next 10 flights
- Receive 20% discount from full fare seats
- Highest stand-by prioirty
- Prices are fixed when MyFlight TravelTen is purchased - This can protect you from future airfare/surcharge rises
- Ticket will not expire until all flights taken.

Who is most suitable for MyFlight?

- Corporate Travellers who travels domestically frequently
- Commuters who travels interstate for work/study during peak season
- Government Officials, particularly Federal MPs, Civil Servants

How MyFlight works?

Customers can buy MyFlight ticket online via Airline website or through selected travel agencies and airline offices. A chip card will be issued upfront with a official receipt and fare description if purchased thru agent/airline office or via courier mail which will be dispatched immediately.

MyFlight ticket will not expire until all flights are made. MyFlight will be available on all domestic flights and can be used at any counter or self check-in machines.

Procedures for using MyFlight:
1. Go to Departure Level of your airport
2. Put your MyFlight ticket into the Self Check-in Machine
3. Select Destination
4. Up to 5 Next Available Flights displayed. Choose flights
5. System message containing sectors deducted and remaining sectors on the ticket. Passenger will need to confirm and continue
6. Select Seat
7. Option to check in companion*
8. Declaration of Dangerous Goods
9. Boarding Passes and/or Lounge Access Ticket printed
10. Check-in Your Luggage (Where applicable)
11. Proceed to security checks
12. Go to your gate. You are on your way.

Should passengers require an official air ticket,special machines will be available next to customer service counter and departure lounges at selected airports. Simply insert your ticket and the ticket will be printed automatically with no charge.

Procedures of checking-in companion traveler via MyFlight TravelTen:
A. Select "Yes" at Step 7
B. Enter passengers name (according to his/her ID to travel)
C. Enter Frequent Flyer Number (If applicable)
D. System message containing sectors deducted and remaining sectors on the ticket. Passenger will need to confirm and continue
E. Select Seat
F. Repeat Steps 8 - 12

To prevent passengers re-selling the ticket and any terrorist activity, ID checks may be required.

For airports with no self check-in machines, you will need to present your ticket to the helpful ground staff. They will ask for your destination, no of travellers, and your seat preference. You can ask the staff to print air ticket for you and you can also use your ticket to check-in your companion.

What will happen when MyFlight TravelTen expires?

The ticket will expire when ten trips on the nominated sector used. You will need to buy a new ticket MyFlight TravelTen. There will be no top up option available for security reason.

Can I earn Frequent Flyer Points on using MyFlight TravelTen?

Yes. The website, travel agency or airline office will ask for your Frequent Flyer number and link up with your TravelTen. Full Fare Y for Economy MyFlight Ticket or Full Fare J for Business MyFlight Ticket will be counted.

Or simply you can always claim your miles thru airlines website's if you can't see your ticket being credited.

How much will MyFlight TravelTen Cost?

There will be 5 fare bands for MyFlight TravelTen, depending on the flying distance for each sector.

Each sector is defined as a flight from Point A to Point B within the SAME flight number. Hence for transit passengers that will be counted TWICE on your TravelTen.

The following example is for Qantas. Basically it should be around 20% off of its lowest price for Fully Flexible Ticket:

MyFlight 1 - For flying distance below 300 Miles (Eg. Sydney to Canberra)
Economy Class $2312
Business Class $2768

MyFlight 2 - For flying distance between 301 to 700 Miles (Eg. Sydney to Melbourne, Melbourne to Adelaide)
Economy Class $3416
Business Class $4200

MyFlight 3 - For flying distance between 701 to 1200 Miles (Eg. Sydney to Adelaide, Melbourne to Brisbane)
Economy Class $4288
Business Class $5560

MyFlight 4 - For flying distance between 1200 to 1600 Miles (eg. Adelaide to Perth)
Economy Class $6688
Business Class $11992

MyFlight 5 - For flying distance more than 1600 Miles (eg. Sydney to Perth, Sydney to Darwin)
Economy Class $7496
Business Class $13672

All fares are tax and surcharges inclusive

Can MyFlight TravelTen be multi-dipped?

MyFlight TravelTen will work the same way as MyBus TravelTen and multi-dip option is available when you have extraordinary travels for distances beyond your ticket fare band.

Double Dipping Chart:

MyFlight 2 = 2x MyFlight 1
MyFlight 3 = 3x MyFlight 1 = 1x MyFlight 2 + 1x MyFlight 2 = 2x MyFlight 2
MyFlight 4 = 4x MyFlight 1 = 2x MyFlight 2 = 1x MyFlight 3 + 2x MyFlight 2
MyFlight 5 = 5x MyFlight 1 = 3x MyFlight 2 = 2x MyFlight 3 = 1x MyFlight 3 + 1x MyFlight 4

No Refunds on dipping which total value for MyFlight exceeds the actual full-fare Y/J Class seat fare, or MyFlight value thereof; since MyFlight is NOT a stored-value card.

Will there be any changes to existing fare types?

OneWorld Australia Pass are proposed to retire and replaced by MyFlight TravelTen

Your Feedback Welcomed

Simply give your feedback on the above back via replying this thread below.

Thank You

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 29th March 2010, 09:15 PM

Mate....seriously, you must have better things to do in life than spending time drafting these ideas.

So using your model....my economy flight from SYD to MEL will cost me more than $300 per trip....who's gonna go for that?

Having different types of fare and conditions are all part of revenue management and trying to maximize profit on each flight. Non of the airlines in Aust is subsidies by the government, they are all serious business!!! And if a business does not make money, there is NO business.

However, some constructive comments, I really think your target market is wrong, you should rather aim for the leisure market rather than frequent travelers. In that way, you can secure your cash flow well advance regardless if the pax travel or not. Also you would give this ticket the lowest priority so you can still maximize your profit.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
I'm so fed up with MyThis, MyThat. It's old already. What next, MyMovie, MyRestaurant, MyCafe, MyShoe, MyClothes, MyWatch, MyJewellery, MySupermarket?
Replace <my> with <i>!
Old 29th March 2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
MyZone doesn't help me - my CityRail "high value ticket" will still cost the same huge sum of money as it already does. No change.
Same. The biggest joke is that they've called it "MyZone". As if this might fool people into thinking it is any more zone based than the current fares. It isn't! Normal bus and rail fares are distance based. Normal ferry fares are no longer zone based but will now be distance based. Only the passes are zone based and those already were under the TravelPass system, only they've made it worse and removed the well used Blue TravelPass.

As for the proposal above... too complex! I want to go to Melbourne, I go online, choose a fare/time and book, done. If I want to go somewhere on the cheap and am flexible with days, I wait until the next sale turns up in my inbox (I subscribe to Virgin Blue, Jetstar and Qantas e-mails on the topic) then jump straight on and book something. Simple. Much cheaper. And the airline looks after their yield management without me having to think about it.
Old 30th March 2010, 06:21 AM

This has to be a wind up....what the hell!?
Old 30th March 2010, 09:46 PM

MyFlight is NOT designed for casual travellers who will book their ticket online and get Red e-Deal which is heaps cheap.

MyFlight is designed for frequent travellers and commuters who require frequent on the spot air travel. Hence users for MyFlight TravelTen will be the ones who will buy their ticket right at the sales counter instead online, because they don't know when they will need to fly.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 31st March 2010, 01:08 AM

I can buy a ticket on the QF site much faster than the ridiculous steps you have listed. Seriously, how frequently do you travel to quantify such nonsense?
Old 31st March 2010, 06:18 AM

OK Arthur T, you plan to give your highest yeilding pax 20% cheaper tickets.

Can you please also write in as much detail, how you expect your airline to be profitable. Standing by....
Old 31st March 2010, 06:48 AM

frequent travellers who require same day travel usually work for large companies or the government. most airlines QF/DJ included already provide discounted rates (sometimes up to 40%) - on the most flexible fares - to companies which buy large volumes of tickets.

but I do have one question - why would you want 20% of flexi fares? if you were buying a ticket on the day, surely you would just buy cheapest fare on the day. (most of the time, not flexi)