Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2010, 01:08 PM

I did ASP/SYD in Apr 2000 on an AN 320 - yup, mid-30s from what I remember. What I don't remember whether the flight had come in from AYQ or not.....
Old 18th March 2010, 08:05 AM

Makes me wonder why QF are still on the AYQ route. Yields must be terrible. I can't imagine the arrival of DJ will make them any better!

On a side note I have noticed that at least 80% of the customers on AYQ flights are international visitors. Often this figure is much greater and sometimes we do not have English speakers to sit at the exits. I think the airlines and Voyages need to be more proactive in reducing the costs for domestic tourists. Either make the packages cheaper or reduce the costs of hotels and air fares.

My partner and I went to AYQ for 24 hours (Sat lunch time to Sun lunch time). I was on a free ticket and my partner on my staff travel. We got 50% off accommodation and discounted car rental and the short trip cost us almost $900 (including the Sounds of Silence dinner and park entry)! Recently we bought commercial airfares, hotel and car for three nights in MCY from the JQ website for only $750. The Rock needs to be more competitive. It is a shame more Australians have not experienced the wonder.
Old 18th March 2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth U View Post
It is a shame more Australians have not experienced the wonder.

As an observer of the Rock over the last 40 years, I am still in awe of its magnificence. The sheer size and the colour changes are amazing.
Old 18th March 2010, 07:20 PM

Gareth, in many ways what you were talking about is a perfect example of market powers at play. Clearly there are people who are willing to pay the high price, and is probably the very reason Qantas is there and not Jetstar.

With all the other facets of Uluru you mention, again the prices are what they are because people will pay it. Uluru is a premium destination, not a bulk tourism place. More tourists would actually ruin the place (even more).
Old 18th March 2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Uluru is a premium destination, not a bulk tourism place. More tourists would actually ruin the place (even more).
A lot like HTI
Old 18th March 2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Uluru is a premium destination, not a bulk tourism place. More tourists would actually ruin the place (even more).
While I see what you are saying I disagree that more tourists would ruin the place.

Numbers are down and the resort is up for sale. It is getting tired to say the least. Voyages would attract more people by making it cheaper and I am sure more money would be made in the process. HTI is a great example. It was in dire straits. Initially everyone complained that JQ made the island 'common'. The low cost carriers have helped turn the island around through increased numbers. I believe the same could be achieved with Ayers Rock.

I also believe it almost unpatriotic that far more Aussies have been to Phuket or Bali than Uluru. We should all be required to go to Uluru at some point. Amazing does not begin to describe.
Old 24th March 2010, 08:30 AM

There must be a lot of demand to get to Ayers Rock because Qantas link fly double daily from Cairns only a small city with the 717 so thats 1400 seats a week. I don't know where they get all the passengers from. So for a much bigger market Sydney will have enough passengers for both airlines to fill their aircraft.
Old 24th March 2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarden S View Post
There must be a lot of demand to get to Ayers Rock because Qantas link fly double daily from Cairns.

The 3 top tourist destinations are Cairns, Ayers Rock and Sydney Harbour

e.g. A lot of Japanese with restricted time go to all 3 and then home
Old 24th March 2010, 10:03 AM

Hi All,

I was at the Ayers Rock (Uluru) airport in July last year and spoke to the QF staff.

The B717 flight comes from Cairns and continues onto Perth.

The flight is the only mid morning departure to Perth from Cairns and arrives in Perth mid afternoon.
QF1859 & QF1923.

Another B717 does the Reverse from Perth.

When I was there, there wasn't too many Overseas visitors coming off the flight.

In fact they were mainly Australians.

The overseas visitors would fly into Alice Springs and join a Coach Tour out to Uluru, which would inc several nights accomodation.

Stuart
Old 5th April 2010, 12:47 PM

Hi there

Were these QF staff or Voyages staff dressed up in QF uniform?

Who will handle the DJ flight?, from what I have heard from my friend who works at the resort (but not at the airport), the QF people don't want to touch the Virgin Blue flight.

Cheers
Anthony T