Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2008, 06:57 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Shortly afterwards, he shot it with something else...
Not at all. In fact, he's one of the good guys so I leave him alone.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't shoot everything I see!
Old 30th October 2008, 08:12 PM

Optical stabilisation is better than in camera CCD stabilisation. The lens stabilisation still retains the full resolution of the sensor, whereas with in camera CCD stabilisation the CCD data is manipulated to produce the result. This can lead to some resolution loss and pixel deformation.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 31st October 2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Not at all. In fact, he's one of the good guys so I leave him alone.

Contrary to popular opinion, I don't shoot everything I see!

No, I meant a 100-400...
Old 31st October 2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
Optical stabilisation is better than in camera CCD stabilisation. The lens stabilisation still retains the full resolution of the sensor, whereas with in camera CCD stabilisation the CCD data is manipulated to produce the result. This can lead to some resolution loss and pixel deformation.
That's all good and well if you're wanting to become a professional or print your photos onto a billboard..but considering he's just looking to get an entry-level DSLR, the cost benefits of an in-camera stabilisation system far outweigh any minor pixel deformation or resolution loss for a first-time DSLR owner.

Those reviews on comparisons on websites such as dpreview analyse things to the n-th degree...but for an entry-level DSLR, such detailed analysis is just a bit too fanatical and over-the-top.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:21 AM

I only recently upgraded to an EOS 450D which I've found to be great. I got it with the 18-25mm and 75-300mm lenses, and so far I haven't had any problems at all. If, like me, you're new to DSLR photography, then these lenses should be fine. They might not be the highest of quality, but my skill with a camera is not yet at the level where the quality of the lens becomes an issue!!

Have a shop around - if you're happy to, have a look on eBay, you can sometimes get some great deals. I got the camera with two lenses, a 4GB SD card, a tripod, camera bag, cleaning kit and a few other things for $1450 including UPS shipping. This was from a store called digital-rev-oz on ebay - I've bought two cameras from them and have had no issues.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:22 AM
Prolific Member

Robert, I say go for it. The price seems reasonable, and the camera will be a good first-up DSLR.

Once you have the camera you can then start building on your lens collection for the various needs you'll have for the camera. The twin lens kit is a good start, and as you get more proficient with the camera settings you'll probably want sharper results, which is where the L-Series lenses come in.

If you choose to upgrade the camera body later, then the lenses will still fit, so consider the lenses you get as a long term investment.

Cheers
Nigel
Old 31st October 2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
That's all good and well if you're wanting to become a professional or print your photos onto a billboard..but considering he's just looking to get an entry-level DSLR, the cost benefits of an in-camera stabilisation system far outweigh any minor pixel deformation or resolution loss for a first-time DSLR owner.

Those reviews on comparisons on websites such as dpreview analyse things to the n-th degree...but for an entry-level DSLR, such detailed analysis is just a bit too fanatical and over-the-top.
Nothing to do with printing or anything like that. It's if the long term you're going to end up being disappointed with the results after you've made an investment in cameras and lenses.

I would say that a greater wider range of lenses available far outweigh any in camera processing that in the long run will start to limit your photography as you get better at it. Dpreview is just trying to give the prospective buyer, whether it's a entry level person or a pro, as much information as they need. The forums over there are littered with both types of buyer.

When you commit to a direction with a DSLR with lenses it's hard to change direction after you have amassed a collection of equipment.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?