Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2008, 08:14 PM

Default Flight Changes YSSY in relation to Bangkok

Hi all,

This is my first post so please forgive me if its in the incorrect place.

I though it would be great to track any changes to flights in and out of Sydney in relation to the closure of Bangkok Airport.

I see a Thai 777 flew over my house this morning, is there another Thai aircraft parked up at the Aiport?

Does anyone think Qantas will send a few 747 up to Utapoa in the same fashion as Cathay to evcuate Australian Nationals?

Dave
Old 29th November 2008, 08:16 PM

I do believe TG993 came in from Utapao.
Old 29th November 2008, 08:23 PM

I see Thai have another flight tomorrow morning (30 November) flight TG9939 from Phuket however I think this will originate in Utapoa.

Anyone know how to track whats leaving Utapoa?
Old 29th November 2008, 10:11 PM

My acars messages (for today) show TG993 arriving from Phuket (VTSP) and TG993 going to Utapao (VTBU).
Old 30th November 2008, 10:13 AM

just on ABC Insiders...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...tion=australia

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 30th November 2008, 06:51 PM

Default Rescue talks for Aussies

Rescue talks for Aussies in Thailand
http://http://skynews.com.au/news/ar...aspx?id=282716

dose anybody have more news on this in the sense of what aircraft is going to be used and so forth. i know that a Qantas plane will leave Phuket tomorrow with stranded Australians on board.

good to see Qantas is in the news for posative reasons other the negative.
Old 30th November 2008, 07:36 PM

Qantas may EVENTUALLY come to the rescue here, but I suspect a severe shortage of capacity is hindering them in a big way.

In days gone by, i.e. Bali bombings and before that, Cyclone Tracy in Darwin, Qantas would have been straight onto it with additional flights. Times have definitely changed...I guess if there's no profit to be made from it, Qantas aren't interested.
Old 30th November 2008, 07:57 PM

Eh? The article says they are waiting to get approval from the airports. Last I saw reportedwa QF were sending an A330 to Phuket to pick up pax.
Old 30th November 2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick B View Post
Qantas may EVENTUALLY come to the rescue here, but I suspect a severe shortage of capacity is hindering them in a big way.

In days gone by, i.e. Bali bombings and before that, Cyclone Tracy in Darwin, Qantas would have been straight onto it with additional flights. Times have definitely changed...I guess if there's no profit to be made from it, Qantas aren't interested.
Please - any of these humanitarian assistance situations QF (and other airlines) provide results in no profit, it fact I am sure most of them would lose money. No airline does these sort of things for any profit.

QF is trying to get aircraft there - the transport minister is speaking with Alan Joyce about it. It is a case of if it is possible, not about any other issue. Other airlines will be trying to look at other options too.

Even with the aircraft shortage right now, they got a A333 on Friday (instead of the 332, which wasn't even full). They are doing all they can to get flights, as with all the airlines.
Old 1st December 2008, 02:07 AM

I just feel a bit worried whether there are still any QF staff stranded in Bangkok right now still. I sincerely hope they are safe or even enjoying themselves in Patayya Beach. Hope they have been gone back Australia already, even by Phuket replacement service or by Cathay evacuation service.

Back to our stranded Australian commutors in Bangkok, it seems the situation is even worse then they're waiting for the next interrupted CityRail service. As I saw the previous posts, there is no sign for QF passengers can leave from Utapao. Can the co-market company BA have flights (eg a 777 daily) instead of QF to UTP take passengers back to Australia?

Furthermore, think CX is still trying to clear the HKG passengers first hence if they are holding QF tix I really afraid they still end up with taking 9 hours bus to HKT than change. But just wondering how about JQ? Think QF commutors can also take JQ back Australia first, then provide free drinks and food, entertainment etc until BKK is back.

For TG pax bewteen BKK and Australia, can they be better off that they can take SQ to SIN then change?