Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2008, 01:48 PM

Default Catalina arrival

Is anyone going to be at YSBK on Sunday for the Catalina arrival? I'm hoping to be there from around Midday.
Old 5th December 2008, 03:04 PM

Default catalina arrival

Andrew, my Dad heard on ABC radio that it will bearriving between 2-3pm at Bankstown,and some sort of reception is being held. he also said its flying down from Cairnes,Bribaine,Kempsey Port mac flying around Sydney accompanied by a few other aircraft. I will be out there with my dad Sunday avo.

Phil M
Old 5th December 2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M. View Post
Andrew, my Dad heard on ABC radio that it will bearriving between 2-3pm at Bankstown,and some sort of reception is being held. he also said its flying down from Cairnes,Bribaine,Kempsey Port mac flying around Sydney accompanied by a few other aircraft. I will be out there with my dad Sunday avo.

Phil M
The current plan is for a 1330 arrival after a 1300 flypast at Rose Bay.
Old 5th December 2008, 04:33 PM
Prolific Member

It would be nice if the HARS Catalina could join it on a flypast.
Old 7th December 2008, 12:43 PM

Cat cleared to orbit east of bridge and north of southern harbour shore at 1500 feet. Due there about 1345.

Noel White
Old 7th December 2008, 03:45 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

When I departed the Northern Beaches there was complete cloud cover, so it was not looking very promising for photograph. However, by the time I arrived at Bankstown the sun broke through and things were looking pretty good weather wise.

There was a good crowd out at Bankstown for the arrival of the Catalina, and many familiar faces among them. When I picked up the Catalina on the radio, she was over Parramatta and heading inbound, but so was a storm cell to the west. They made a southbound pass directly over the field and then a descending right turn for the approach to Runway 11 Centre. Only minutes before touchdown there was lightening just to the west of the airport. After a smooth touchdown, they had a short hold for a departing aircraft on Runway 11 Left, before they taxied along Kilo to the airport Terminal.

Soon after they shutdown outside the Terminal, everyone walked out to the aircraft for a close look, however the sky opened up and we all huddled under the wings to keep out of the heavy rain. After about 10-15 minutes the rain stopped and visitors were welcome to have a look on board. Thank you to the Catalina crew for allowing everyone to have such a close inspection the aircraft.

About to touchdown on Runway 11 Centre and then they had to hold for a departing Cessna on Runway 11 Left.

Making the final turn off taxiway Kilo to the main apron in front of the terminal.

Definitely a flag waving occasion.

A beautiful arrival for the Catalina.

A greeting for the crew after the flight down the east coast today.

The cockpit is very tight with only a small access way from the forward cabin.

One of the control panels in the forward cabin.

The aft cabin looking forward through the connecting tunnel to the forward cabin. You can see the bottom of the
engineers seat at the top of the tunnel. The rear cabin was filled with everything except the kitchen sink.

Parked on the apron outside the Bankstown Airport Terminal.

Parked on the apron outside the Bankstown Airport Terminal.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 7th December 2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 7th December 2008, 04:10 PM

Great photo`s Grahame thanks for posting.
Old 7th December 2008, 05:45 PM

I was lucky to be flying around the Redcliffe area yesterday when the Catalina was doing an airbourne photo shoot with news helicopter HTV. Certainly a great sight for those lucky enough to be around at the time! Channel 9 showed a lot of the footage on their Brisbane news last night.
Old 7th December 2008, 07:37 PM

Hi all!
Wondering what is the story behind this precious bird please?
Is this a new restoration, or something, and will it still be at Bankstown tomorrow, when I am lucky enough to be visiting "the big smoke".
Cheers John
Old 7th December 2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thoroughgood View Post
Hi all!
Wondering what is the story behind this precious bird please?
Is this a new restoration, or something, and will it still be at Bankstown tomorrow, when I am lucky enough to be visiting "the big smoke".
Cheers John
http://www.catalinaflying.org.au/