Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd April 2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
but their delivery has now been pushed back until 2011 and 2012.Virgin Blue says there has been no change to the planned delivery of VA's 4th B777 jet (in Q3 2009), or the 7th aircraft, which is due in the second half of 2010."
I guess JNB is now off until at least 2010.
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:26 PM

Please refrain from quoting the whole previous post in your post, it is not necessary, thank you - mod

And that is also providing the 777 gets approval for longer ETOPS.
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:23 PM

I must admit I don't understand the obsession with JNB.

It is a highly premium market (not a heap in the way of leisure travel), and the 777 won't even do it from Sydney, so it'd be PER - JNB.

There are far bigger markets for Virgin to chase.
Old 24th April 2009, 12:39 AM

Please refrain from quoting the whole previous post in your post, it is not necessary, thank you - mod

You sure?

At the moment its only 1 airline servicing the route, with very good loads iirc.

All VAus have to do is open up the leisure market - many things to do in South Africa (all of Africa really) which can be exploited...Victoria falls and all the nature/wildlife parks for a start.
Old 24th April 2009, 06:28 AM

Can'tbe that good - QF have recently announced they will be making cuts to that route.
Old 24th April 2009, 08:50 AM

I have some photos of Pretoria and J'burg from my family that I received in email a few days back. If you saw them you'd understand why nobody wants to go there anymore, myself included.

Owen is right, there is no leisure market in SA, not like there used to be. The place truly is becoming a real 3rd world country. I'd be happy to post up the photos, they really are quite saddening.
Old 24th April 2009, 05:41 PM

I was in Cape Town over New Year. Sure the V&A is pretty and there is some nice scenary, but apart from that the place is a dump.

People are rude - plus it is not safe to walk around. We stayed at the Westin which is a 10 mins walk to the V&A but the hotel had a free bus... I thought it strange and we walked the first day..... got hassled every couple of hundred metres and one guy threatened to pull a knife out.... not pleasant at all! Won't be going back in a hurry!