Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th March 2009, 07:57 AM

Yeah totally agree.

After being down there the past 5 years (Not this year!), i can say that its an impressive sight to see the big 747 basically glide over Albert Park. But after seeing so many of them over the years around the airport, all that impressiveness is lost once the Hornet romps over and performs its Max G turns and Full Afterburner vertical exit, twisting and turning the whole way.

Not to mention the NOISE!
Old 30th March 2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
I heard that as well. He was quickly advised (maybe by the cameraman) and corrected himself.
I laughed when I heard that - I think he was trying to be smart and someone off camera corrected him. I did like the turn at the end there!

Camerawork could have been better (no need to get that close) but at least they stayed with it for a good 30 seconds or so. Usually they cut away after 5 seconds. Afer being there twice, it is always still impressive at the track.
Old 30th March 2009, 09:33 AM

Wish I'd beeen there to experience it (and the GP as well) especially after being there for the NZ 747 in Wellington... and that was only by chance.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:31 AM

Suppose I should correct a few things here!

It did a run basicaly over the lake before it did its traditional run down pit straight.

and it was VERY low when it went over the lake...VERY, I was actually amazed that they could get THAT low!

It then fired up right next to where i was sitting () and went around for its go on the pit straight, which was much, much higher than it had been.

pictures once i get back to perth
Old 30th March 2009, 12:49 PM

I really enjoyed the left bank as it went down pit straight.

I have a few shots of the undercarriage, and of the Roulettes in formation, that I'll load up tonight. The Hornet was a bit too quick, so I'm expecting that those shots will be deleted.
Miles: 651,193; Hours: 1,484:43; Flights: 526; Routes; 218; Airports: 101; Airlines: 47; Countries:27
Old 30th March 2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick B View Post
Looks like Qantas are sending a B744 down to the Grand Prix for a flyover (no spare 380s I guess?)

QF6620 SYD 1510
SYD 1805

Interesting that is coming down from Sydney, overflying and returning straight back. No idea of a rego but VH-OEB in the new livery and One World logo would have to be a good chance.

Cheers
No wonder the F1 runs at a loss. I presume they would have to pay Qantas and if so why wouldnt they use a flight coming out of Melbourne???? Surely a flight could have a departure time adjusted to coincide with the time it needs to perform the fly over?

I would think it would cost a few hundred thousand dollars to get a 747 to fly from Sydney to Melbourne return.

Carl
Old 30th March 2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
Suppose I should correct a few things here!

It did a run basicaly over the lake before it did its traditional run down pit straight.

and it was VERY low when it went over the lake...VERY, I was actually amazed that they could get THAT low!

It then fired up right next to where i was sitting () and went around for its go on the pit straight, which was much, much higher than it had been.

pictures once i get back to perth
Damn. TV did do a cr#p job on the coverage of the flyby as it seems so far away or they showed it before/after it was close.. I really wish I could have been there now. I suppose the coverage was about the cars, not the 747.
Old 30th March 2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl F View Post
No wonder the F1 runs at a loss. I presume they would have to pay Qantas and if so why wouldnt they use a flight coming out of Melbourne???? Surely a flight could have a departure time adjusted to coincide with the time it needs to perform the fly over?

I would think it would cost a few hundred thousand dollars to get a 747 to fly from Sydney to Melbourne return.

Carl
Given Qantas is a major sponsor of the F1, I don't think it the flypast would have come out of the F1's pocket.
Old 30th March 2009, 02:35 PM

Photos from the aviation displays on Sun (VH-OEB) and Sat (F/A-18)

Old 30th March 2009, 02:49 PM

Nice pictures there Mike !