Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th September 2009, 07:51 PM

Excuse my ignorance but how or why do some pax have to pack 90kg of baggage? that's a lot domestically and also a lot if he was going to fly PER-BNE, BNE-SYD, SYD-MEL and MEL-PER? is it usual for business customers to check-in so much domestically?
Old 12th September 2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Your sleeping in their hotel, they don't have a right to know a little about you?
If you've pre-booked your accommodation and using your credit card I.D should (IMO) be asked for, sighted and left it at that. If you're walking in off the street and using your credit card (again IMO) I.D should be asked for and scanned/photocopied to the guests profile.

Cash paying guests should always have their I.D scanned/attached to the guest profile, this assists reception staff when returning bonds/deposits to verify signatures/facial verification and more often than not deters those members of the public who have dishonest intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
I can't recall any stories in the media recently in which an employee of a chain hotel has used guest identities to commit a crime.
I can't recall it happening here (maybe our hotel employees are more honest?). I personally can't see any benefit in using others credit card details unless of course you were to be onselling them to illegal syndicates (skimmers n the like), in the end you're going to get caught or take the wrap for a bigger fish.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:53 AM

Some have missed the point; the photocopying of ID by a hotel has nothing to do with the security of or for the hotel, but entirely for the benefit of wotif.com to protect them, when a credit card has found to have been used fraudulently.

Others organisations get round this problem by using Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode service, but wotif.com seems too lazy to update its computer systems to give the protection it needs to both its clients and itself.

Grant – as one makes the reservation by email, the address is passed to the hotel via wotif.com, also yes when a law requires the passport copy I will obey, but not for purely commercial reasons.

Quote:
your details for the purposes of marketing
Mr D Duck will be getting a lot of marketing papers, as I forget how many times I have checked in using Mr Duck’s name for registration purposes.

For his 90kg, he seems to be running commercial presentations, so the weight must be his presentational materials

Banjo
Old 12th September 2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
Excuse my ignorance but how or why do some pax have to pack 90kg of baggage? that's a lot domestically and also a lot if he was going to fly PER-BNE, BNE-SYD, SYD-MEL and MEL-PER? is it usual for business customers to check-in so much domestically?

I'm not sure if it's usual, but I've done it. It's cheaper than a courier if you're traveling anyway, and at least you know the stuff you need is coming with you.
Old 12th September 2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
Grant – as one makes the reservation by email, the address is passed to the hotel via wotif.com
Banjo,

I can assure you 100% that wotif.com does not forward your email address onto the hotel, the hotel only receives the name of the guest and a contact phone number.
Old 12th September 2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Some have missed the point; the photocopying of ID by a hotel has nothing to do with the security of or for the hotel, but entirely for the benefit of wotif.com to protect them, when a credit card has found to have been used fraudulently.
Try buying a camera lens from dirtcheap in the city, he makes you come there and show photo ID every time because they have been done so bad before. I couldn't blame wotif.com for taking the same precaution.