Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th May 2010, 02:03 PM

Hello,

I wasn't going to reply with this, but decided to.

I flew Tiger once SYD-MEL-SYD.

A nightmare!

In SYD, could not find the check-in desk. Their flights where not listed on the screens in terminal 2, the terminal they actually depart from.

There was a delay with the flight SYD-MEL. At gate 38 it showed the flight number etc, but it did not have an updated departure time. There was nobody to ask, no announcements, nothing. The flight left 2 hours late and all we could do is hang around the gate for the whole time just waiting.

While in Melbourne, I got a text from Tiger saying our flight MEL-SYD has been cancelled and to go to the airport for alternative arrangements.

So that message in itself was not helpful in the least bit. So I tried to phone Tiger. I was on hold for 40 minutes and in that time I had arrived at Tullamarine by taxi. So I hung up.

Proceeded to check-in counter. They advised the flight after mine was full, so I can either get a refund or come back tomorrow. Basicly I was left stranded for the night.

I said I wanted a refund because I did not want to come back tomorrow to be screwed around again.

I filled in the required paperwork and lodged it with them. No refund ever came through!

What I am trying to say is they may be reliable on some days, but you leave yourself open to be stranded. You are better of to pay $20 more and fly Virgin Blue who have the capacity to look after you when it all goes wrong.

Tiger cancel flights and have delays all too frequently. So keep in mind that you pay a cheap fare and you get the service to suit.

I myself would not step on another Tiger flight. Not out of spite, but I experienced the feeling of doing it on the cheap and being left high and dry.

Regards
Old 20th May 2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Just a question, but, whats to stop leaving a backpack with friends who are seeing you of (for example) when checking in? This way, it does not need to be weighed and therefore, not an issue!
Good question indeed.
I thought I was being smart by taking off my waterbottle from the bag (and pretending to drink it) while my bag was being weighed.
My carry-on bag was never tagged in any way, so when they ask "are you bringing a carry-on bag, they are putting a lot of trust in the passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S... 2 View Post

I flew Tiger once SYD-MEL-SYD.

In SYD, could not find the check-in desk.

I filled in the required paperwork and lodged it with them. No refund ever came through!

What I am trying to say is they may be reliable on some days, but you leave yourself open to be stranded.

Tiger cancel flights and have delays all too frequently. So keep in mind that you pay a cheap fare and you get the service to suit.
Steve, sorry to read things didn't turn out well.
Did you fly soon after the SYD-MEL route was first launched?
I flew Tiger about a month later and found the checkout desk with ease and signed well enough at the time.

Did you get the refund in the end? If not do you have some sort of receipt from the paper work you filled out? Not good enough on their part if you are still seeking the refund.

Leaving yourself open to be stranded - Fairly accurate statement for low cost carriers. A fact everyone needs to be aware of before booking a ticket.
When I next consider flying with Tiger this is something I need to consider....almost expect delays.
Although their punctuality may have improved over the last 6 months thanks to the addition of a few extra aircraft to their fleet.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:34 PM

Flew SYD-OOL-SYD approx. 2 weekends back with Tiger.

It was all really smooth and simple. There are usually no issues in flying with them.

Approx. 24 hrs before my departing flight, I received an email asking me to trial their new web check-in service. (boarding pass here)

There were a few small delays at the boarding gate while they checked I.D. of the 4-5 people who used web check-in, but other than that, it was really simple.

My entire experience with them was a positive one.

Put simply, you aren't damned if you fly Tiger Airways.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P View Post
Just a question, but, whats to stop leaving a backpack with friends who are seeing you of (for example) when checking in? This way, it does not need to be weighed and therefore, not an issue!

I only ask this as on my recent trip, I had a backpack (laptop, camera, and a change of clothes as I was going AU to EU and then EU to UAE and then to AU, so the climatic changes were very noticable, and at NO TIME, was I asked to have this weighed!

Just putting it out there, thats all!!!!
whats stopping you??????
probably a passenegr who is sitting waiting for the flight to depart on time whilst a handful of fools are trying to fit an oversize backpack into an overhead locker designed to carry a make up bag!.......or........... the flight attendant standing at the door and tells you then and there to get rid of your bag!
Old 25th May 2010, 07:05 PM

I was only asking the question as I saw a LOT more people mucking up the boarding process..

Was MY bag overweight and/or did it NOT fit into the little stand at/near checkin... Under weight and size so no issue there... Also, did I delay the boarding process... No, I get to my seat, put my bag either into the overhead OR under the seat infront of me and take my seat...

It is the fools that then try and squeeze their roller bag, and the even BIGGER fools that try and move MY bag, ABOVE me so as THEY can put their bag in and it isn't even near where they are sitting! But that is a completely different story...

My point is, that if TT are going to charge you to take on a backpack with only a few items in it AND well within the standard weight limit, why wouldn't you ask a friend to hold it whilst you check in?

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:54 PM

Hi all!

I'm in the process of plotting my EPIC South Australian trip, which will be spanning three weeks over September/October, and will encompass flying Tiger.

I'll be seeking more specific enquiries later, though are there any items in Adelaide/SA of aviation significance that are worth visiting while I'm there? Museums, spotting locations, etc?

I plan on spending a full day at Adelaide Airport spotting the many types which we hardly see in YSSY (Metros, Fokkers, etc) which is definitely on the agenda! If any local members there have any advice on the best locations and stuff.

Thanks all!
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:10 PM

Default Tiger

Maikha, have a look at these sites.

http://wbag.org.au/
http://planespottingadelaide.com/

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 8th August 2010, 11:10 PM

Hi all

Thought I'd update you all!

I have finally booked my eagerly awaited South Australian holiday. As I'm a fan of variety (Haven't flown with airlines enough to have a 'favourite'), I'm flying to Adelaide from Sydney on Virgin Blue DJ402 on Friday 17th September 2010, and then back to Sydney on Tiger Airways TT8906 on Monday 11th October 2010. As I'm on holidays, and even coming back from holidays, I will definitely be in no hurry!

I have designated Monday 27th September 2010 as my 'plane spotting day' at ADL, so hope to get a few extra types I don't normally see in NSW. Finally I'll be able to get a shot of Sharp Airline's Metros and maybe even a Fokker?

Anyhow, as time gets closer, I'll post asking for more details about what to do in South Australia
Old 8th August 2010, 11:50 PM

Default Tiger

Yes you will see Sharp Metros and the Alliance Fokker 50s.

Parked around the back of the Cobham hangars there are quite a few BAe 146/Avro RJ 100s in storage here.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 11th November 2010, 03:34 PM

Dont think this needs a new post, so I will use this one.

I have to say I prefer the new outfit.

Have also observed some "very" lengthy delays and cancelled flights over the past few weeks on Tiger flights. I hope they can fix these quickly or else a new uniform wont help at all.

Kind regards,

Geoff

From "The Age"
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...7nfc.html#poll