Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2009, 10:55 PM

Default Redback39 B350 circling south of Sydney for hours?

Have been watching this ADF King Air circling south of Sydney between Canberra and the coast for hours now, maintaining FL160 and just doing laps, anybody know what's going on with that? Aircraft is A32-439.
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:49 AM

Nick down here in Nowra we've had 5 blackhawks and an army kingair.

Not sure what they are doing here and don't know why they were circling for hours, i'll see what i can find out.
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:25 AM

Much appreciated. They were up there for a long time very curious to know what was happening.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:13 AM

The Army King Airs have some pretty funky surveillance equipment on them. They can stand off from a landing zone and provide real-time information to helicopters on whether there is a threat around that area etc.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:20 AM

I am glad you said that Andrew, I was sitting there last night thinking to myself "I wonder if they are doing some sort of surveillance training or similar" but I thought that may have been a bit too far fetched but I don't feel so silly for thinking that now. Perhaps they were doing some training and giving the Blackhawks some sort of air support?

I'd love to see the inside of the ADF King Airs one day, that would be a blast. I am sure for security reasons there are no cabin shots floating around?
Old 22nd April 2009, 01:45 PM

Please refrain from quoting the whole previous post in your post, it is not necessary, thank you - mod

Only two of them (Army 173SQN) have the funky stuff on board - the rest (RAAF) are Nav trainers.