Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th July 2012, 09:02 AM

Those were the days Gareth, weren't they. Better schedules for places like HBA, CBR etc... AND the 717s in this part of the world!
Old 18th July 2012, 09:45 AM

Cool

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the conditions of QF's takeover of Impulse be that all existing services to HBA were retained? That explains all the 717's that used to come here!

I still can't understand QF's decison to make the early morning business flight to MEL and the evening flight back to HBA a Q400 prop. The suits will be RUNNING over to Virgin Australia. Probably all part of QF's "master plan".
Old 18th July 2012, 09:57 AM

I'm surprised that the Q400 to HBA hasn't been more of an issue. Back in 2004 when JQ started, QF proposed running their two MEL-HBA 737 flights at exactly the same time as they will from October. After the outcry of no J seats out of HBA in the morning, the decision was reversed and the 737 stayed overnight in HBA. I guess this time there is DJ, so people will just jump ship, as opposed to 2004 when QF had the J monopoly.

Gareth, I remember those days. 717s to MEL at around 6 and 7 in the morning, with the SYD service somewhere in between, plus DJ to MEL and SYD too. Now just two jets and a Q400 overnighting instead of 5 jets. In fact, for a brief period when Kendall operated their CRJs there were 6 jets overnighting in HBA, but fewer seats than the 5 jets mentioned.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the conditions of QF's takeover of Impulse be that all existing services to HBA were retained?
Correct. When AN/KD were still around there was WAY too much capacity. I recall working a HBA-MEL flight with 1 pax. We put her in the flight deck and ate many of the sixty beef burgundy pies with mash, gravy and veg that were loaded by the exceptional catering operation in HBA. It seems like a lifetime ago.

When AN collapsed the capacity was much better matched to demand.

There used to be six crews overnighting in HBA each night. It seemed that we spent more time in HBA than in our own home. The hotel gave us 50% off in the bar - good times!
Old 18th July 2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Myer View Post
QantasLink increases services and capacity to/from Canberra:

http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/qanta...acity/5/129102
Call me an idiot but how does upgrading 3 return DH3s a week (Monday, Thursday & Friday) to DH4 (24 extra seats per flight) equate to 336 extra seats a week? I make 144... and yet it's in Qantas' own media statement??
Old 18th July 2012, 04:15 PM

Only way I can get 336 is daily upgrade from DH3 TO DH4, giving 24*7*2 accounting for each direction. Don't know if that is the correct number of services though?
Old 18th July 2012, 04:40 PM

Yeah same here... unless something changed recently it's been 4xDH4 and 5xDH3 a week for a couple of years. From their online schedules it changes to 7xDH4 and 2xDH3, so only 3 returns get the upgrade.