Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th June 2012, 12:03 PM

Default Qantas: You're the reason we fly

Just reading about Qantas' new ad campaign

http://mumbrella.com.au/qantas-youre...-we-fly-100318

You have the opportunity to get your name put on an A380 or a 737 and for your photo to be included in ads. An interesting idea, not sure how the planes will look with names written all over them but will be something different, and something to look out for.

www.qantasyou.com

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 3rd July 2012, 04:16 PM

KLM did a similar thing last year. You could put your photo on one of their 777's
Old 15th July 2012, 02:47 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Interesting how advertising can work ...

I was surprised to see my Qantas image on the Sydney Airport Message Board Google Ad. The Ad first appeared as the normal Qantas promotion, then rolled over to the image below.

Don't know if anyone else has seen their own image ?

Is this a Google Ad personalised because my laptop is registered with the Qantas "You're The Reason We Fly" campaign, which is technically cute, or is it just one of a number of people and their image that Qantas have setup as Google Ads ?

For it to be personalised, the Qantas Google Ad would need to check for a "You're The Reason We Fly" cookie on my laptop, and if it exists, go grab my image from the 30,000 plus they have received, then render that image and my name dynamically in the Google AD - quite smart if this is the case.
Quote:

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 15th July 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 15th July 2012, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up Same!

I'm having the same experience Grahame and it started within about 30 minutes of my registration, which I thought was pretty impressive.
Old 15th July 2012, 05:43 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I registered a couple of weeks back, but only noticed my image in the Google Ad today.

Just noticed your signature and can sympathise with you. I was Platinum for 5 years, and then stopped flying internationally for work. Qantas kept me at Platinum status for 2 more years without having flown a single sector with them, and only put me back to Gold this year. This one of the nice stories you seldom hear amongst the continuous criticism of Qantas.
Old 15th July 2012, 09:13 PM

Unhappy Frequent Flyer?

It's true that I managed to get an extra 'sticky' year of QF Platinum before being demoted to Gold but my real point was that I didn't really travel that much less - I just started taking all the RedE fare deals that were going. Once I lost my QF Platinum status I got Virgin to honour their 'matching' status promise and got Gold out of them too. They were quicker off the mark than Qantas with the dedicated boarding queue, which I must say I find very convenient, but because I've now been using both, it's disloyal enough to prevent me ever getting back to Platinum status with either (unless I win Lotto and can travel J class all the time)!

My signature block just reflects my observation that it's actually not frequent flying that is rewarded - it's how much you spend. Virgin is the same, so I'm not singling out Qantas. But if I flew F or J class everywhere to get my status points, I wouldn't really need Platinum status as I'd get the perks with the fare, so what's the point?
Old 17th July 2012, 10:02 AM
Prolific Member

Same Ad but on Airliners this time ...
Quote:
Old 21st July 2012, 09:19 AM

There must be a cookie somewhere because I signed up and get the same thing in ads at various places lol!!
Old 29th July 2012, 09:06 AM

If it wasn't got the voice over, you would think the ad is about insurance or super.
Old 29th July 2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam C View Post
It's a terrible ad. ...
...The reality is, the advert is a striking resemblance of the mess they currently find themselves in - that being -
A truck load of unsalvageable orange splattered across a country road.
So Liam, I should take your critique as being completely objective?

I actually like it. From my perspective, nothing tugs people's heartstrings more than making them feel very important, which is exactly the message Qantas are trying to portray (whether or not that is the Company's actual plan on the ground). But then again, I am blissfully aware that these advertising companies get paid gazillions of dollars because that actually do have a clue what the average person wants. I am certainly no marketting expert, so if I think differently, then in that regard, I am probably not the average person.