Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2012, 09:19 AM

Default Qantas/Emirates tie up in news again

Looks like FRA will get the chop and leaving only LHR.

http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com/qantas...ains-momentum/

and

http://afr.com/p/national/qantas_for...7oRkwZIgeI6VQJ

doesn't look so good for QF.
Old 26th July 2012, 09:56 AM

In my opinion, Qantas has more to gain through this deal than Emirates does.

Hopefully Qantas starts improving customer service if this goes ahead.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:16 AM

Don't really know what to make of this yet
If some of the LHR flights route through Dubai, and with the cancellation of the services to FRA, one would think that QF would have to up the ante of flights to SIN in some other way,such as it becoming a destination in its own right,I guess.

This will all be very interesting space to keep an eye on

Jim
Old 26th July 2012, 11:11 AM

I agree George... there doesn't seem to be much, if anything, in this for EK. I would've thought they'd rather continue their own expansion of services to Australia than do so through the use of QF's metal. Likewise I can't see why EK would want to have QF on DXB-LON when it already has its own extensive LON network.

If this did go ahead do people see scope for BA to scale down its LON-DXB flying in favour of putting a codeshare on the prospective QF service?
Old 26th July 2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan McKeever View Post
If this did go ahead do people see scope for BA to scale down its LON-DXB flying in favour of putting a codeshare on the prospective QF service?
OR, they could scale it up, and then take on those QF pax on their metal as opposed to the EK metal, in much the same way as they are doing now through both SIN and HKG?

Personally, I think it could be good for both, a wider scope for QF to access Europe, and for EK to have a domestic 'network' within Australia. Not to mention, EK having access to the QF FF program as well...

Interesting times ahead...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 26th July 2012, 06:27 PM

Could this mean a new order for more planes at at Qantas, the 747-8I or 777 perhaps? (I am not intending to revive old arguments for either plane, just a question of possible expansion of aircraft).

Dave
Old 26th July 2012, 07:30 PM

Default I don't get it

I don't get it. Why would I fly on Qantas to Dubai to connect on Emirates to Europe, when I can fly on Emirates to Dubai to connect on Emirates to Europe? Seems like Qantas is just gonna become a regional carrier. If that's the only way to survive then fair enough I suppose.

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 26th July 2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
there doesn't seem to be much, if anything, in this for EK
You have not thought about the domestic feed this provides to EK.

Qantas will funnel customers that may have travelled on Qantas then switched to other carriers e.g. Etihad, Qatar, Singapore Airlines etc.

Qantas may operate their own metal to DXB and EK removes theirs, or they'll operate in conjunction, much like Qantas and British Airways on the JSA.

This will be a fantastic opportunity to offer Qantas customers 1 x stop into Europe. Something not previously available due mostly to bilateral constraints e.g. Qantas was ever only allowed 3 x services per week to Paris ex SIN, yet AF and SQ could operate to their hearts content.

I truly hope this goes through - for Qantas's sake. Geographically, Qantas suffers being and end-of-the-line carrier - in addition to the lack of hub and spoke advantages other carriers enjoy... I could go on.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:39 PM

Bernie & Thomas, you're right in that I hadn't thought of domestic Aussie feed for EK, but that's already happening by interline isn't it?

If I were Tim Clark (which I'm not) there'd have to be one hell of a carrot dangled in front of me to entice me to withdraw some of my own capacity from what (I read somewhere today) is my third biggest market...
Old 27th July 2012, 08:02 AM

Maybe that carrot is access to the US, something that Emirates has always wanted.