Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th October 2008, 08:03 AM

Although it's only been flying and in service for a very short time, I'm curious to know how QF's new AVOD system is going (both in terms of reliability compared to the previous sytem, and also in terms of features such as internet browsing and all the other new fancy features)?
Old 24th October 2008, 08:18 AM

The new system is the Panasonic (Matsu****a Avionics Systems) eX2 system, same system as installed with EK and SQ. Not quite sure about Qantas, but Singapore airlines have been quite happy with this new system. Although QF has problems with it's Rockwell Collins avionics suite for enteratinment I dont believe they will change systems. To much had already been invested to rectify most of its earlier problems.
Old 24th October 2008, 09:39 AM

Default Panasonic IFE problems?

Luke's report is excellent for detail and pics. His comment that two Matsu****a/Panasonic technicians travelled on the flight suggests that problems had been uncovered during the joy flights that have still not been fixed.

If SQ is using the same system why is QF having problems - are there differences between the implementations?

If anyone who knows more detail can explain it to us that would be useful.

Just as an aside, whatever censorship software is operating on this board, its masking of the letters s, h, i and t when they occur in that sequence in the middle of a legitimate word is absurd!
Old 24th October 2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
Although it's only been flying and in service for a very short time, I'm curious to know how QF's new AVOD system is going (both in terms of reliability compared to the previous sytem, and also in terms of features such as internet browsing and all the other new fancy features)?
When I was on the flight, my AVOD reset by itself once. The internet browsing wasn't turned on... although the network was detected by my laptop. It just came up with a message that the service wasn't currently available.

The map also has a few issues. Apparently Melbourne and Los Angeles are in the same timezone.

But the system as a whole is definitely much better than the older systems. It uses a touch screen and is much more responsive than the system on the 747. The bigger screens are also good as well.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
If SQ is using the same system why is QF having problems - are there differences between the implementations?
I think the most important difference between the SQ and QF systems is the tail camera. SQ does not have the tail camera.
Old 24th October 2008, 01:48 PM
Prolific Member

The aircraft departed Rwy 34L at 1426, rotating at Twy Kilo and airborne at the runway's intersection.

There were still plenty of spare seats. I presume it either never sold out, or perhaps this was a result of cancellations due to the current world financial situation.
Old 24th October 2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
The aircraft departed Rwy 34L at 1426, rotating at Twy Kilo and airborne at the runway's intersection.

There were still plenty of spare seats. I presume it either never sold out, or perhaps this was a result of cancellations due to the current world financial situation.
The SMH website said that it was "90% full". Might have been similar to the MEL service - full in the premium cabins, a few spare in Y. It would have been interesting to see how many were on the 108.
Old 24th October 2008, 02:52 PM
Prolific Member

It was a bit less than that from the figures I saw, but 80 more than went out on the 107.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Nigel,
Did the Patrol break down here or just the view was pretty good?

Cheers

Chris
Old 25th October 2008, 01:16 AM

Some more shots from LA here if anyone is interested.