Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th August 2011, 04:24 PM

Default 747 Business class - Qantas?

Hi,

I am looking at booking an upcoming flight to travel in Business class for the first time.

Having never been 'upstairs' on a 747, I ask if it differs in any way with the 'downstairs' business class section?
Is there a website which offers comparison photos?

I have been looking at a few current seat maps/pax loadings and it seems the down stairs Business class is always more 'empty' then upstairs.
Is it just the secluded 'atmosphere' which makes upstairs more appealing then downstairs in J class?

On a related note, the flight I am looking at is a multi-leg international flight, where I will be travelling on the 2nd leg of the flight.
Looking at the seat maps I see that there are some empty business class seats, but also the entire 'row 4' of First Class, is unoccupied.
In the event that 'row 4' becomes available only for the 2nd leg of the flight (and given that I will be boarding at this time) is there a chance I would be able to chose one of those seats from the online seat selector on the qantas website....or will the J class passengers who are already on that flight (flying from its original port) have preference over me?

I know frequent flyer status plays its part when it comes to upgrades, although does this stand for stage 2 of a multi leg flight?

.....if my wording makes any sense to you...
Cheers
Old 12th August 2011, 05:28 PM

Adam, which cabin is better is really up to personal preference, though yes it does seem that many prefer the upper deck. My first few flights I was the same, but of late I prefer the lower deck, provided it isn't the middle seats, but no objections if I get upgraded and placed in those seats which has happened 3 times in the past 2 years.

The reason why I now prefer the lower deck is simply one of baggage space. The problem I found with the upper deck is the over head luggage lockers can be a little on the tight side for a standard cabin bag, same too with the lockers beside the window seats. Being business class passengers can and often do bring their entitlement of 2 bags so what space is available fills fast. Also whilst you don't have much through traffic walking through the upper deck, there is still a lot over isle movement owning to it being single isle, so IMO about the same as the lower deck. It can also be harder to look out the window as it is lower and due to the curve of the body at an angle. Being on the lower deck you also get off before the upper deck.

As for your second question, what flight are you on? Is it one which first class isn't being sold? In which case then yes you should by all rights be able to select those seats, though depending upon status your ability to select may not be until a day or so before the flight. Having said that though, I personally wouldn't bother with those seats, only really worth it when it comes with first class service.
Old 12th August 2011, 06:04 PM

The only flight I can think of that would be a 2 stage flight without first class if the SYD-SIN-FRA run.

I also have been upstairs and downstairs business, and in my opinion I find upstairs better. Firstly, it's a smaller cabin and therefore a more private atmosphere. I don't find the windows too much of an issue, only really on the ground as you have to crane your neck down to look out at anything other than the tarmac. The big plus to upstairs is the compartment you have on the window. It is the same as the A380 compartment and is very handy for blankets and pillows you're not using.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:48 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

My preference is the forward rows of Upper Deck Business. It is a very quiet section of the cabin, nothing forward except for the Tech Crew and a Toilet, the galley is down the back. The front rows do have slightly narrower side bins for your bags, but between the overhead bins, the window bins, and the the large coat rack at the rear , there is plenty of room. You exit the aircraft with lower deck Business and before the Economy pax, so there are no real delays. Only thing better is First (fortunate to have travelled in Cathay and Malaysian First), and the Qantas First lounge in Sydney is exceptional.

Enjoy you trip Adam.

Qantas 747 Business Class Upper Deck

Malaysian First

V Australia Business

V Australia Bar

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 12th August 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 13th August 2011, 08:14 AM

Upstairs J class 747 (pretty much any Airline) is most favourite Airliner space ever. I'd even go as far as to say even better than my (only) first class experience in the nose of a BA 744, where we both (wifey and I) felt a bit uncomfortable and out of place.
Old 13th August 2011, 01:19 PM

In terms of personal preference I would take a seat in zone A, followed by the upper deck and then the main cabin. While the upper deck is nice and quite, the nose is even quieter and if you can get a window seat you look slightly forward. The only seats I avoid are those in the middle in zone A as they have no personal air vents.

Not sure if I would pay out of my own pocket to fly business on a Qantas 747 however. There are much better products on other airlines for far less money. For example BA and Finnair both have flat bed products for far less than what Qantas charge for an angle flat, while going to the USA United and Delta have a better seat as well than what QF offer. Delta even feed you more often than what Qantas does.

If by chance you are doing BNE-SYD on the 744 then you should be able to pre-allocate a seat in zone A as most PAX get off in BNE. The other week zone A was full DFW-BNE and had 4 PAX BNE-SYD including the 2 that the crew upgraded on board.
Old 13th August 2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks all for your replies and advice.

Quote:
If by chance you are doing BNE-SYD on the 744 then you should be able to pre-allocate a seat in zone A as most PAX get off in BNE. The other week zone A was full DFW-BNE and had 4 PAX BNE-SYD including the 2 that the crew upgraded on board.
Yes, the domestic leg of QF8, BNE-SYD, was the flight I was looking at.
All seats in row 4 are currently unoccupied and that is where the idea came to me as having the option of booking a seat here instead of in Business.

What I have noticed, looking through multiple QF8 flights, is that the J class section of the lower deck is often completely empty between BNE and SYD. (I acknowledge the seating maps I was looking at are more of a 'guide' then anything official)

So the thought of sitting in a near empty 'downstairs' sounds a little appealing, as does the idea of the rare opportunity to sit 'upstairs' in a jumbo.....or the even more rare opportunity of sitting in 1st class.

Decisions, decisions........

As to why I am considering traveling in Business, its beacuse I have almost $2000 worth of flight credit which I need to use/book with before Monday.
Too difficult to put it towards overseas travel at this stage as I cannot confirm any travel dates.

cheers
Old 14th August 2011, 08:23 AM

On my flight downstairs business was very full, I didn't check the upper deck and as mentioned zone A was empty. I would select 4A or 4K if available and then try for 1A or 1K when check in opens or at the airport.

Personally however if I had a $2k credit with QF I would book the 747 to PER, one way in business the other in economy. Or I would see how far around Australia I could fly in a weekend. Or I would fly to Lord Howe and back and do a few more Dash-8 sectors like out to Longreach and back. Being winter I would also look at flying to Hotham and back. Finally I might be tempted to fly to ZQN on a Saturday, stay the night and come back Sunday.
Old 14th August 2011, 01:26 PM

^
Thanks for the suggestions Kelvin.
I've been able to book 7 domestic flights around Australia, all during the space of one week including a trip to Perth on the 747.
I did book business class on QF8, BNE-SYD and have the option of booking seat 4A or 4K on the 747.
If I select one of these seats now, will I be 'turned away' from 1st class when I check in at the airport given I am only a bronze level Qantas frequent flyer?
Old 14th August 2011, 01:52 PM

No you will not providing you check in on time. If the seat is available, then you can have it. The only time you would loose the seat would be for operational reasons. There is a slight risk that you could be displaced from 4A or 4K as it is a bassinet seat. It is also the oxygen seats as well. So there is a very small risk.

When you check in, right up to departure I would still try and get 1A or 1K however. If you would like the true F class on the 747 experience these are the seats to go for. It is just a shame that the boarding pass says "business" and not "first".

If you are flying business to PER on the 747 try and pre-allocate row 1 to 4 A or K then if the aircraft changes to a 4 class bird you will end up back in a F class seat.