Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th August 2011, 12:52 PM

^
I see, thanks very much.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I've booked business class on QF8, BNE-SYD and have the option of selecting seat 4A or 4K on the 747.
Now I know it probably comes down to personal opinion; however is there much of a difference between F and J class for a one hour flight?
I can see the advantage of sitting in 1st class on a long haul flight, however for shorter travel a window seat would be preferable and I am not sure how good seats 4A or 4K would be for looking out the window given they are the bassinet seats.
The upper deck of the 747 seems a little more appealing at this stage for me......any advice?

On a related note, I've booked a 2nd flight on QF8 (BNE-SYD) again later in the year after purchasing 2x discounted business class tickets as a birthday treat for a family member.
Again on this particular flight, all seats in row 4 of the 747 are currently available to be selected. Given these are discounted business class tickets, are we less likely to gain access to these 1st class seats if we go ahead and select them?

cheers

Last edited by Adam.S; 26th August 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 26th August 2011, 11:20 PM

Had the same things to consider on an upcoming 744 flight QF581 SYD-PER. I opted for upstairs in the end. Hope to post a trip review upon my return.
Old 27th August 2011, 11:45 PM

As I have mentioned previously if the seats are available then they are yours. Even with the bassinet the view from 4A/ K is better than the upper deck as with the upper deck you look down and out the window. The upper deck also has the lockers between the seat and window. I would select row 4 on the hope that the cabin was empty and that you could change to 1A and 1K after takeoff.
Old 28th August 2011, 08:48 AM

OK thanks for that Kelvin.

A final question, if sitting in F class on this short 1.5 hour flight, how important or what is expected of a passengers dress code/appearance?

I will be making an effort to look 'nice', however I am not a suit and tie kind of person and for me 'nice' would be clean joggers with cargo shorts and an untucked dress/business shirt.

These being my 'best clothes' (!), would this appearance be seen as too casual and inappropriate for first class travel?

If so I might look at business class travel instead.

cheers
Old 28th August 2011, 09:16 AM

Never flown first class on a international but from what i have heard the attire you have spoken about Adam would certainly not suit first class.I believe there is a dress code.
Old 28th August 2011, 03:07 PM

For paid travel in F their is no dress code. I have never had QF ask me to change.

I don't fly in shorts or sandals because I get too cold on the plane but if that's what you want to fly in, as long as it is clean (ie not dirty) and does not have offensive material printed on it, go ahead. I also avoid shorts and open toe shoes because I worry about evacuation. I dont want slide burns on bare skin or cuts to feet from loosing flip flops or sandals on the way down.

I even change out of my suit before boarding and get into trackpants or jeans for the flight. It is just more comfortable to fly long haul and when you do a lot of it, comfort is everything.
Old 28th August 2011, 04:52 PM

Long gone are the days when people dress up to catch a flight. It's now as common as catching a bus.
Old 28th August 2011, 08:49 PM

A friend of mine flew BA first, turned up Cargo Shorts, Birkenstocks, sunglasses and a T-Shirt. This was also an award booking, not once was he questioned about his dress

John
Old 28th August 2011, 08:57 PM

Thankyou Raymond/Kelvin/Ryan/John,
It seems my concerns are too old fashioned.

I will be making an effort to dress 'nice' and appropriate, clean shaven, clean shorts, shirt with collar and clean shoes(new joggers).

Hopefully a quiet (in terms of pax numbers) F cabin will work in my favour.
At this stage there are still 5 empty seats.

Will let you know how it goes.