Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th September 2011, 10:41 PM

Strambi gets 41%. Didn't his division lose 200 million dollars? Pigs at the trough is an understatement.
Old 9th September 2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The reason Jetstar haven't used the A-330-200 to fly to Rome & Athens is that the previous Board(without consultation with flight ops) ordered aircraft that only have 20 minutes supply of oxygen for passengers in case of rapid depressurisation.
I find this conclusion exceptionally difficult to believe.
Old 9th September 2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator

I believe the A330 has 5 passenger oxygen tanks standard, with an option for up to 5 more - whether or not that decision is up to the board I don't know, I'd assume someone else decides what they need and what they don't and the board would just get presented with a pricetag.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 9th September 2011, 09:54 AM

The QF/J* A330's do not have passenger oxygen supplied by a tank system. It uses a fixed chemical oxygen generator system - just like the 737 and 767.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator

I stand corrected - so it would appear the tanked oxygen is an option? I can't find a supply time for the tanks, but 22 minutes seems to be the common theme for the chemical generators?

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 9th September 2011, 11:30 AM

Not that I think it's relevant here, but QF A330 either have 22 mins or 15 mins of oxy depending on rego. The domestic ones are 15 and international are 22.

Todd
Old 9th September 2011, 12:11 PM

why would that matter ?
still plenty of time to get to a lower altitude if there is a depressurisation.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:39 PM

Not over certain terrain Brad. Afganistan, China etc require escape routes to get over around the "hills" and you would be above 14000 feet. Which could take over 15 mins easily.

Todd
Old 10th September 2011, 08:11 AM

That's OK, it looks like from this SMH article that you can allegedly get paid $680k a year plus a centurion amex for running a union newsletter while 5000 public sector jobs are going in NSW. http://www.smh.com.au/national/syste...909-1k21d.html
Old 10th September 2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
No pilot worth $0.5M? Maybe not.... So tell us how much is he/she worth when ya strapped to your seat when everything is going to s#*t and one of the donks are on fire or whatever the problem and they eventually get you on the ground safely?
Last time I checked, CEOs don't get put through 3 to 5 vigorous checks a year to keep their job either.
I really hate jingoistic arguments like this. In reality a pilot is very unlikely to ever find themselves in the situation you describe. Nonetheless, they are paid to train for these situations and scheduled checks are conducted to verify their ability to deal with the situation you describe. There are many professions that involve people putting themselves in harms way that earn far less than pilots. Pilots earn what they get because their job is based on a high degree of technical skill and requires (amongst other attributes), a good recall and multitasking ability.

Last time I checked pilots don't have to go through anywhere near the amount of s#*t that has been personally leveled at Alan Joyce.

Last edited by Ray P.; 10th September 2011 at 11:14 AM.