Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd April 2008, 12:34 PM

Default NSW Bans laser pointers.

It was bound to happen with all the activity we've seen thus far . . .

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...21/2222662.htm
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:08 PM

Too little too late but I just hope they catch some of these idiots. In saying that, I would love to find out who needs a laser.......some academic on the news last night was trying to come up with reasons you would need them for work purposes and he was struggling to even do that.
Old 22nd April 2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavitar Singh View Post
It was bound to happen
About bl00dy time I say... Such IDIOTS!!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 22nd April 2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
Too little too late but I just hope they catch some of these idiots. In saying that, I would love to find out who needs a laser.......some academic on the news last night was trying to come up with reasons you would need them for work purposes and he was struggling to even do that.
Teachers/instructors use them in class - not sure if they are similar to the ones being used in the attacks, (classroom pointers are red in colour, not green, which seem to be the colour of choice for the attacks) but we do use them instead of the old long wooden/metal pointers that have been used in the past. It allows you to point to items of interest whilst not being in front of the classroom all the time, or if you are in the workplace doing training you can point to items of interest without having to move around alot. I somehow doubt many teachers will apply for a weapons permit to use them however.
Old 22nd April 2008, 06:06 PM

Smile

Actually Sarah, when I'm doing pilot recruiting sims for my company, I use the laser pointer in my wireless mouse to point out things on the instruments if the candidate is having difficulty in a particular area.

That's a lot quicker and easier than trying to reach over the centre pedestal to point with a finger

However, I've never had the desire to shine it in the candidate's eye.

The legislation is typical political huffy puffy which is too little too late. I suspect there are literally thousands of these devices in public hands and this will do little to address the problem, considering the difficulty the authorities have had so far catching these idiots....
Old 22nd April 2008, 07:41 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jarse View Post
However, I've never had the desire to shine it in the candidate's eye.
Well, thank goodness for that!

Old 23rd April 2008, 01:25 AM

The green lasers have been used to attack aircraft because the green light has a higher power and thus reaches further than the red lasers. As far as I'm aware, all the attacks that have happened on aircraft have been by green lasers, and not the usual red lasers which probably don't have enough power to reach an aircraft from more than a kilometer away.
Old 23rd April 2008, 07:43 AM

A freighter reported being hit by a green laser around 2300 local last night just south of NZAA. Air Freight 675 was climbing out of NZAA and reported a green laser being pointed at the aircraft from "somewhere in the middle of Waiuku".

ATC subsequently asked the next few aircraft if they could see it but no more was seen.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:33 AM

I do know that many astronomers use high-powered green lasers for operating their automatic telescopes and stuff. But they at least don't go shining it at planes or at people.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:42 AM
Prolific Member

Just looking at your signature Russell...it should read (Grob) Twin Astir.