Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th September 2013, 09:14 AM

Default Spotting at Sydney-Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I'm really excited to be a member of the forums!

I'd just like to ask my fellow aviation enthusiasts a few questions as I'm heading to Sydney tomorrow. I'm flying to Sydney from Melbourne and back again, I'm taking TT508 on the way there and TT 657 on the way back. In essence, I am doing exactly what Brandon did with his trip reports.

Firstly, I was wondering if you might have any good suggestions for some spotting as I'm keen to try out my new Nikon D5200. Unfortunately, I only have the kit lens which is just 18-55mm. I was thinking that I could leave the Tiger T2 terminal and maybe walk to the international observation deck along Qantas Drive maybe. Or should I take the train there?

Also, what movements should I look out for tomorrow? Is there anything that I should consider?

This is my first time spotting in Sydney, and my first time with a real camera. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for the help!
Mike
Old 4th September 2013, 03:15 PM

Hi Mike

You picked a good day for it - should be sunny all day.

With that lens you are going to struggle a little with anything close up on the runway but will get some taxi shots. I would suggest that if you have no transport I would shoot from Domestic Terminal in the morning as you will have the sun behind you in the morning. From memory the Qantas Heritage Collection (Museum) is open in T3 from 0930 and is worth a look anyway, but is a good place to take photos.

I would take the train over to the Intntl Terminal (probably a 30 min walk). In the afternoon you can take photos from the Observation Deck with the sun behind you.

For info on arrivals/departures you can see this here:

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/YSSY
or
www.sydneyairport.com.au

Enjoy your day!

Cheers
Mark
Old 4th September 2013, 04:50 PM

Train is a pretty expensive way to commute between terminals at around $16.
There's a Sydney Bus service 400 (direction Burwood) that runs between domestic and internatioonal that is much cheaper and goes around the perimeter road so you'll see movements. For the journey back from international to domestic you want the bus in the direction Bondi Junction.
Here's a timetable - http://www.sydneybuses.info/routes/400_20101128_tt.pdf
Old 4th September 2013, 05:47 PM

Mike, have a look in Melbourne tomorrow morning for the Air India 787-8. It will follow you up to Sydney about 30 mins after your Tiger flight. The earliest departures in Sydney of note are the JAL & Korean 777's, which you may just catch if you don't experience any delays.

All the advice is good. Enjoy your day, & start saving for a zoom telephoto lens !
Old 4th September 2013, 07:08 PM

Isn't the terminal buses around about $7 trip, don't know been a while.

Military: MV-22B, KC-30A, KC-10A, C-17A, C-27J, S-70A-1, C-2B, PC-21.
Old 4th September 2013, 07:43 PM

Thanks so much for all the help guys! I really do appreciate it all! Should be a great day tomorrow!
Old 5th September 2013, 06:16 AM

TBus is $5.50 one way! It can be caught just outside T2 on Arrivals level! It's a big orange bus :-)
Old 9th September 2013, 01:04 PM

Hi all, might be heading to YSSY myself for a few days next month and was just wondering weather the small grassed area/car park on Airport drive next to Alexandra canal was still open to vehicles or is it closed?, Thanks in advance Craig.
Old 9th September 2013, 01:32 PM

Been closed for a while now for vehicle access.
Old 10th September 2013, 07:46 AM

Hi Craig

You can park at the end of Coward Street in Mascot and walk approx 5 mins along cycle path to end up at this spot. The path is off to the right at the end of Coward St.

Cheers
M