Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mak View Post
Not in Australia. Any cockpit visit is strictly before take-off or after landing when the aircraft is parked at the gate - on the crew's discretion.

Some airlines in Europe still allowed cockpit visit inflight. A friend of mine flew LH on HKG-MUC, he was able to visit the cockpit inflight.

My last cockpit visit was back in 2001 on CX 343 HKG-SYD.
Hate to sound like im a party breaker but i cannot believe airlines will do that now, unless you have be security cleared or known to the company. As much as i want to check out the flight deck during flight, I would rather feel safe during flight than random people having access to the flightdeck. On the ground is a different story, i pushing kids out the way so i can see.
Old 23rd October 2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I have been told, in uniform, that my tripod was a 'clubbing hazard' and I could not take it through.
Reminds me of the infamous shoes incident at LAX with the CX captain.
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
Hate to sound like im a party breaker but i cannot believe airlines will do that now, unless you have be security cleared or known to the company. As much as i want to check out the flight deck during flight, I would rather feel safe during flight than random people having access to the flightdeck. On the ground is a different story, i pushing kids out the way so i can see.
I know an Asain airline (A310) that still allows Cockpit visits,

Banjo
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Chui View Post
Hi Tim,

I never send any notes out. Not sure where you got that idea from, but if it works, it is great for you and all. On occasion travelling on memorable flights I do send a log sheet for the captain to sign and post useful information for record purpose.
Hey Sam, yeah I saw it on your A380 flight where you put how you were an freelance aviation photographer or something and all that and kinda mixed it in. Thanks for the help It has got me a looong way to getting access.

Tim
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:08 PM

Once after crossing the pond on a BA B747 I was allowed to visit the flight deck no problem but the captain said I couldn't take any pics. We had a great time sitting up there chatting but he still didn't let me take any pics. But... why?
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:34 PM

If it was post S11, he probably didn't want you to take pics because of the possibility of them getting around and him getting into a lot of trouble.

Mick
Old 24th October 2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
writing a small letter outlining how your love aviation and enjoy taking photos and if a quick photo in the flightdeck would be possible after flight
Tim
Do you mean writing to the airline before the flight, or just writing a note on the plane and asking the attendants to take it to the pilots...

Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Old 24th October 2008, 05:37 PM

I send up a data sheet to the pilots on every flight I take. On the form I ask to visit the flight deck after landing, and have never been refused. I have been allowed to take photos on about 90% of my visits (with a 10% success rate when it comes to editing ).
Old 24th October 2008, 05:49 PM

I usually send off an email beforehand for carriers I don't know (for example SQ, and they told me they don't allow flight deck visits, and Air NZ a few years ago, which was fun cause the email was forwarded to the chief pilot for the 767's and he took the flight that i was on, upgraded me and so on. was a bit of a thrill, but a seriously rare experience, about 5 or 6 years ago i think now).

The worst they can say is 'no', so there's no point in not trying!

Nick
Old 24th October 2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks again for all the replies everyone!! I'm not flying until March (down to Melbourne for the air show) so I have plenty of time to write some letters