Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2009, 07:52 AM

Default Jetstar 330 Broken down in Bangkok

I heard on the radio on the way to work this morning about another JQ 330 issue, broken down in Bangkok with angry pax (so what's new with this mob?) left for three hours on the tarmac with no aircon while techs fix a hydraulic pump of some kind.

Bit sketchy I know but I can't seem to come up with anything else after a quick search on the net.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:31 AM

JQ30 Bangkok Melbourne STD 22:00 ATD 01:50 (Wed) STA 10:15 (Wed) ETA 13:30 (Wed) Delayed
Old 16th September 2009, 12:56 PM

Same *****, different day for JQ and/or the 330

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...0916-fqbm.html

Quote:
Jetstar passengers stranded on tarmac

THOMAS HUNTER
September 16, 2009 - 10:18AM
A planeload of Jetstar passengers was stranded on the tarmac at Bangkok for more than three hours this morning after a mechanical problem delayed take-off.

A faulty hydraulic pump was detected by the captain during his final pre-flight checks, Jetstar spokeswoman Simone Pregellio said.

The Melbourne-bound passengers were told of the problem, but were kept on board to prevent further delays.

The flight took off three hours and forty minutes later.

Some passengers were reported to have been upset by the delay, but Jetstar said the decision to keep people on the plane was taken to ensure the flight arrived in Melbourne as early as possible.

"When they calculated the time to take the aircraft back to the terminal building, disembark and then embark the passengers, potentially that could have delayed the aircraft even further," Ms Pregellio said.

"The crew can only work a certain number of hours in a row without taking a rest break, so they decided to do the pump change with the passengers on board.

"Naturally, we apologise profusely for the delay to passengers, but obviously we made this call as the best way to get the aircraft away as soon as possible."
Old 16th September 2009, 04:29 PM

Out of interest does anyone have a list of JQ 330 problems with dates and how long the delay was for?
Old 16th September 2009, 06:41 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...ml?autostart=1

I love the comments

EPIC FAIL to:
Brian Walker - Yes we heard about "no air con" and "no water" at least 4 times.

Fadi Kurbin - "No food, no nuffin" "Never again" flying JQ - Sure wait until the next sale!

Big Deal - You would have had to pay for food and extra water on the flight, so why should they suddenly deal out free stuff.

Jetstar is a LOW COST AIRLINE
Qantas (for now) is a FULL SERVICE AIRLINE

I was delayed on the A380 out of MEL earlier this year, had to divert via SYD and then the departure out of SYD was delayed due to a few tech problems with the new A380.

We were sitting on the tarmac for at least 90mins with no explanation. I didn't care I had about 3 glasses of bubbly, reclined the SkyBed II and was happy as larry

BIG to:
Eddie McDonald - "A few people on the plane had a small minded attitude" He is 100% correct, if they had to find a gate, get off the plane, get back on the plane, they would have been stuck there for another 12+ hours. The crew would have run out of hours etc etc. Eddie you are legend!
Old 17th September 2009, 05:09 PM

Smile It's still about communications

A bit more empathy with passengers and a bit more detailed communication, including the rationale re better for pax to stay on board rather than deplane, could have helped.

I know there are many unreasonably demanding pax, and media beat ups, but too often those in the industry assume that pax understand what might be going on. More frequent communication from the flight deck, even if it's 'we're still not sure how long this will take - bear with us' every 15 minutes is better than staying silent.

And if the aircon was off then offering free bottles of water wouldn't really have been a high price to pay for some precious goodwill.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:16 PM

I think all airlines can do better with explaining situations to passengers!

Also a free bottle of water for each passenger would have been very good, but chances are they wouldn't have had spare bottles of water to go around!
Old 17th September 2009, 08:29 PM

Gee, if they get that worked up about a 3hr delay, imagine if they knew about yesterday's QF9 SIN-LHR that is still sitting in Singapore some 20hrs later.
Old 17th September 2009, 08:31 PM

Please do not quote the entire immediate post above. Please use the reply function - mod.

SSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The media don't' know about that one yet
Old 17th September 2009, 10:11 PM

funny how only some of these 3hr delays make the news...however it does seem a bit of stretch leaving all pax on board for that length of time...