Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2010, 07:31 PM

Question Scanners

Hey guys,

just wondering if any of you know anywhere in the city i can pick up a scanner from for less than 200 dollars?

cheers,

Ian Irwin
Old 7th April 2010, 07:38 PM

Why is that an issue though? the scan doesnt take that long does it?
And thanks for the DSE heads up but i was looking for somewhere maybe a little cheaper.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:28 PM

G'Day, Try Andrews Communications. They have a good range, most of which are well above the budget. Of those less than $200 I'll make the following comments

Alinco DJ-X3E - Having owned an older model Alinco many years ago, I'd be inclined to avoid this one even though it does have a pretty good "on paper" spec.

Uniden UBC73XLT - Good general purpose scanner. Currently use the 200 channel 'brother' of this radio as my backup handheld. Chris, it sounds as if you may have a faulty unit,as you should be able to directly enter a frequency ??

UNIDEN UBC-330CRS - This is probably not what you are after being a base unit, but it is an excellent unit for the price.

The Maycom unit is quite good too, although it is much more limited in frequency range, is slightly more difficult to program, and from my experience at least, is less sensitive than the uniden units. They do work well at the airport though. They also have a different antenna connector so if you want to use other antennas / external antennas you will need an adaptor.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-07.htm

Steve
Old 7th April 2010, 10:31 PM

Steve how much is the Uniden UBC-300CRS?
Old 7th April 2010, 10:48 PM

$149
Old 7th April 2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks Steve.
Old 8th April 2010, 01:20 AM

I posted about this in the Tech forum not so long ago (See here), but in a nutshell

I got the Uniden UBC73XLT from Ryda for $150 (See here) some weeks ago, and for a novice who knows nothing about radio scanning and aviation radio, I got the hang of using it less than two hours after I got it (After reading the instructions of course) and was tapping into YSSY's Tower while watching the traffic from Foreshore Road.

Again, by all means read up on the other units suggested here, but like you, I had no clue on how these things worked, until I got this scanner and it has all worked out for me since then!
Old 8th April 2010, 08:37 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikha Ly View Post
I posted about this in the Tech forum not so long ago (See here), but in a nutshell

I got the Uniden UBC73XLT from Ryda for $150 (See here) some weeks ago, and for a novice who knows nothing about radio scanning and aviation radio, I got the hang of using it less than two hours after I got it (After reading the instructions of course) and was tapping into YSSY's Tower while watching the traffic from Foreshore Road.

Again, by all means read up on the other units suggested here, but like you, I had no clue on how these things worked, until I got this scanner and it has all worked out for me since then!

THANKS HEAPS MATE!! best deal i've found so far. going into the city this morning to pick her up
Old 8th April 2010, 10:53 AM

I have an ancient Uniden (UBC2500XLT). Impossible to get batteries for it now - do the new Unidens still use proprietary battery packs?

I did manage to hack one of my batteries to make it hold 4 AAAs instead
Old 8th April 2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Irwin View Post
THANKS HEAPS MATE!! best deal i've found so far. going into the city this morning to pick her up
No worries dude!

I should have also said, if you're heading down to the airport in eagerness, like I did, it'd also help to have a list of the frequencies to punch into the scanner. A list is avaliable on Grahame H's website at: http://www.16right.com/
Under YSSY Spotting > FREQ