Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2010, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't say it's odd Robert, it's merely my opinion based on my experience with both the Virgin and the Qantas programs.

Mick
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:34 AM

If you had included that qualification originally, I wouldn't have regarded it as odd. Clearly, individual experiences are different given that a not-so-frequent flyer such as myself has had no trouble getting free flights out of Velocity, which makes it hardly the "waste of time" you wrote it off as.
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikha Ly View Post
Since about July, on average I fly about twice a month, generally on Virgin Blue
I think you said it yourself here. If you are a Virgin Blue frequent flyer, than join Velocity. It costs nothing to join anyway, what have you go to lose? The points never expire, as long as you do something with the point every 3 years.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:32 AM

Keep an eye on Velocity, there will be changes to it when the new branding takes place early next year. Remember JB knows how much QF make from their programe so he is keen to pick up more market share.
Old 24th October 2010, 04:38 PM

I would (have) join both schemes, but i would always endeavour to stick with one airline / alliance to maximise points in that scheme so you can get a decent points balance with one of them that can then be useful for personal travel. I would also get a hire car card eg Hertz Club Gold or similar and link that to your preferred FF scheme. You could also link credit card to FF and that way your spend on travel etc also earns you points.

Also consider the hotel schemes like priority club as you can earn more points for staying in a particular hotel group. This can either be as FF points or as hotel rewards points which i have found to be a better way to go as you can quickly build up points for free hotel nights which can be a good saving for personal travel when staying in cities. In 3 years i have had 23 free hotel nights with priority club by ensuring we are enrolled in all the double points offers etc and endeavouring to stay mainly in their hotels - you also get free room upgrades etc.

If you are travelling regularly then they are definelty worth joining and my suggestion is to keep up to date with all the various offers to maximise your points.
Old 25th October 2010, 04:13 PM

I've had both for years and find them both easy to accrue, join Avis Preferred as well if you get hire cars a lot, it's a great system and earns you points.

I try to fly Virgin because they deplane from the front and rear and you get on the road a lot quicker.

I flew Etihad to Geneva last month because you get Velocity points and have joined Krisflyer because I flew SIA to PVG a month or so ago and am on China Air next month to PVG and then Thai International to India a week or so after that.

I've never used my points to transfer to a credit card, but my wife flies regularly on my points and Virgin is so easy to claim and book. Qantas is good also, I'm flying for personal use on Wednesday to Brisbane for a family funeral on Qantas points.

Darren
Old 26th October 2010, 10:31 AM

Fly Emirates...that is all.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 26th October 2010, 01:57 PM

^^

Agreed! I have Velocity (left over from my late wifes travels more son than anything, so I will be doing a circumnavigation of Aust with those), Skywards (Gold) as EK are my long haul of choice, and QF as I do my shopping at Woolies and it is linked to my Platinum card, thus MORE points... So these are the ones I would recomend...

I did have JAL Milage Bank AND SAS, but I have let these laps for the others I mentioned above...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 27th October 2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Butterworth View Post
I try to fly Virgin because they deplane from the front and rear and you get on the road a lot quicker.
Yes, this is a big factor with me too. I always try to get a seat in row 28/29 or 22/23 for the '700s.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Garton View Post
Yes, this is a big factor with me too. I always try to get a seat in row 28/29 or 22/23 for the '700s.
Ditto... and really, which self-respecting enthusiast doesn't like having the ability to take a wander around the aircraft before and after the flight?