Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th July 2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter JB View Post
I had a laugh at the comment made by one of the passengers

"The hole was on the Driver's side"

in reality it was...lol, just the 2nd drivers side!

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 25th July 2008, 07:05 PM

I love the quote on ch10 News just.

'The engineers union confirms the aircraft has always been serviced in Australia'.......

So never a trip to HAECO, SIAECO or an A check at LAX or with BA at LHR in it's 17 year life!!
Old 25th July 2008, 07:06 PM

Howdy Mont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
sending a new a/c for the passengers.
QF6005 MEL-SYD 1945/2115 turning around as QF29 to ops MEL-MNL-HKG-LHR.

Rgds

Luke/PER
Survived 1562 flights / 5407:43hrs / 2,431,608 miles
Now SQ, EK, QF, AF, EK, KE and CZ A380 compliant - MH next!
Old 25th July 2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Chittock View Post
QF6005 MEL-SYD 1945/2115 turning around as QF29 to ops MEL-MNL-HKG-LHR.
Wouldn't the pax in MNL want to continue on to MEL, where they had been headed?
Old 25th July 2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
UPDATE ON QF30

SYDNEY, 25 July: Qantas has arranged for a replacement aircraft to fly to Manila tonight to collect the passengers from QF30, which was diverted earlier today en route from Hong Kong to Melbourne.

The replacement Qantas B747 aircraft is scheduled to depart Manila shortly after 11pm local time and is due to arrive in Melbourne on Saturday morning.

The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said the airline was sending an investigation team including Qantas engineering personnel to Manila tonight to carry out an investigation.

Mr Dixon praised the pilots and cabin crew for the way they handled the incident.

“This was a highly unusual situation and our crew responded with the professionalism that Qantas is known for,” he said.

NOTE: Reports that the aircraft is the same one that recently transported His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI from Sydney are incorrect.

Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication at 7.10pm (Q3793)
Source: QF Media Release
Survived 1562 flights / 5407:43hrs / 2,431,608 miles
Now SQ, EK, QF, AF, EK, KE and CZ A380 compliant - MH next!
Old 25th July 2008, 07:26 PM

Default ATSB Media Release

The ATSB has issued this Media Release:

Quote:

2008/22

Boeing 747 diversion to Manila

25 July 2008

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau was advised this afternoon of a serious incident involving a Qantas aircraft.
The aircraft, a Boeing 747-400 was operating a scheduled passenger service from Hong Kong to Melbourne Australia. At approximately 29,000 feet, the crew were forced to conduct an emergency descent after a section of the fuselage separated and resulted in a rapid decompression of the cabin. The crew descended the aircraft to 10,000 feet in accordance with established procedures and diverted the aircraft to Manila where a safe landing was carried out. The aircraft taxied to the terminal unassisted, where the passengers and crew disembarked. There were no reported injuries.
Initial information indicates that a section of the fuselage has separated in the area of the forward cargo compartment.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is dispatching a team of four investigators to Manila to assist local authorities with the investigation.

Old 25th July 2008, 07:41 PM

In Hong Kong Due out on the QF128 tonight. Just had a phone call from Qantas Reservations – flight has been cancelled. At First they told me mechanical reason, but then when I ask if the aircraft was going to be use to ferry the passengers from Manila, I was told that is the actual reason. Why cant they just say the truth up front. According to Reservations, a group of engenerrs are being sent up from Melbourne tonight (I assume QF to HKG then CX to MNL).
Anyhow – I have been advised I am on a 8.10pm flight Saturday night (Im travelling to Singapore on Monday night so nothing like going home for 1 night). Passengers have been told to check in this evening as per normal, Boarding Passes issues. I hope I can at least keep my suitcase for the night…..

As I hear more I will post an update

Neil
Old 25th July 2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil R. View Post
At First they told me mechanical reason, but then when I ask if the aircraft was going to be use to ferry the passengers from Manila, I was told that is the actual reason. Why cant they just say the truth up front.
You're kidding right? As if they're going to say "we're pulling your flight because one of our jets shat itself near Manila and we have to get those pax home first"...

"Mechanical reasons" is not exactly untrue...it's just it's not your aircraft which had the mechanical problem...
Old 25th July 2008, 08:06 PM

UPDATE ON QF30

SYDNEY, 25 July: Qantas has arranged for a replacement aircraft to fly to Manila tonight to collect the passengers from QF30, which was diverted earlier today en route from Hong Kong to Melbourne.
The replacement Qantas B747 aircraft is scheduled to depart Manila shortly after 11pm local time and is due to arrive in Melbourne on Saturday morning.
The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said the airline was sending an investigation team including Qantas engineering personnel to Manila tonight to carry out an investigation.
Mr Dixon praised the pilots and cabin crew for the way they handled the incident. “This was a highly unusual situation and our crew responded with the professionalism that Qantas is known for,” he said.

NOTE: Reports that the aircraft is the same one that recently transported His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI from Sydney are incorrect. (This means YOU Sydney Message Board! )

Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication at 7.10pm (Q3793)
Old 25th July 2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil R. View Post
In Hong Kong Due out on the QF128 tonight. Just had a phone call from Qantas Reservations – flight has been cancelled. At First they told me mechanical reason, but then when I ask if the aircraft was going to be use to ferry the passengers from Manila, I was told that is the actual reason. Why cant they just say the truth up front.
well it was due to a 'mechanical reason' - with OJK