Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd February 2010, 05:45 PM

Default VirginBlue to launch a three class configuration ?

Quote:
The airline, which already offers premium economy seats, is looking at adding a new segment between this class and regular economy.
Virgin Blue CEO Brett Godfrey explained that the proposed segment would have a smaller seat pitch to premium economy, but it would have a wider pitch than regular economy.
e travel blackboard
Old 2nd February 2010, 06:54 PM

So Y, Y+ and "Sorta Y+"?

Hmmmmmm.
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:07 PM

Sounds a bit convoluted for a 737!!!! DJ are still trying to establish their existing Y+ product in the market and adding another class would seem to be a recipe for confusion.
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:53 AM

Perhaps think they are doing something like "Main Cabin Select" as Virgin America.

Currently Virgin Blue is a no-frills airline where if you need to be feed, entertained or luggage carried for free you have to pay $ or pay $$$ for Premium Economy. Think a class in between that you pay $$ and you can get all those 3 things for free is reasonable. If the price is cheap enough I think it will become a huge threat to Qantas, where some passengers looking for a better full service carrier will shift to DJ as it has better service and newer aircraft (DJ's new E190 & B738 compared to those aging B763s running on QF Domestic for some most popular routes)

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:26 AM

QF full service is fine IMO. And I'd rather the 763 over the 738 any day!

Where you got the notion DJ service is "better" than QF I don't know... perhaps you could share your thoughts? Last I flew QF they went above and beyond to make the trip a great one, the hosties even took some time to talk with my kids and have a laugh.

Or is this a case of the "big bad dangerous poorly maintained 767-300 is a horrible aircraft you are afraid to fly" type comment?
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:00 AM

...and have you been on the 190? The cabin creaks more than the floorboards in my house!!
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:08 AM

I have flown the 170 a few times and found it extremely pleasant. Not only did I enjoy the slightly wider economy seating, but the aircraft performance was exceptional and the cabin was relatively quiet.

The DJ pilots did a great job od landing in Canberra with 20 + knot crosswinds and low cloud and rain.
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:10 PM

I have flown on two jungle jets, one DJ (CBR-MEL) and one AF (Brest-CDG) and not sure why but on both trips my ears hurt like hell on decent and for a good hour or so after the flight. Never have the same issue on any other a/c.

As for this proposal it does sound convoluted indeed. Why not stick with 2 class. Premium Y where you get extra room and free tucker, and Y where less room and you pay. I just cannot see the need for an in between class on an Australian domestic flight.
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Where you got the notion DJ service is "better" than QF I don't know... perhaps you could share your thoughts?
I agree with Anthony 100%. There have been times on Qantas that I have been denied certain things that I have never been denied by Virgin. For example there was one time on a flight from Sydney-Port Maquarie on an E170 that when we landed I asked to visit the cockpit. They not only let me in but offered to let me stay on the plane in the cockpit until the other passengers for the return trip boarded. (That day i was doing Syd-Port-Syd).

On Qantas however, there has only been one time i have ever been alllowed in the cockpit (for a split second) and all the other times I have asked I have been denied. I have even been told countless times when Ive had my camera out to put it away as it is against safety and security regulations.

I am not saying I woudnt fly Qantas becasue I will but Virgin Blue has 10 times better service than Qantas.
Old 3rd February 2010, 05:27 PM

in my personal opinion, on domestic flights, the DJ service is not all that great. Sure, the flight attendants might all be young and attractive, but they aren't always an improvement. I've had DJ crew with an attitude FAR worse than any I've ever seen from QF crew

QF domestic is totally different to DJ. They might be operated by Long Haul crew if the flight is an A330, whereas 767 and 737 flights are Short Haul crew. TOTALLY different divisions to work in, which inevitably can affect the way one approaches work, and can be from various bases and employed under different contracts and divisions. Despite this, I myself find Qantas to always have good service. I prefer the more professional look and attitude of Qantas crew, and am yet to find the "arrogant" behaviour many people speak of. Australians love to bash Qantas, which is totally unfair, because it's domestic service is MILES ahead of what you'd get elsewhere in the world. Anyone here flown Us Airways? not good...

I'd rather pay what is often a small difference (DJ isn't cheap) and get a complementary meal service on a 767, than $5 pringles on a squishy 737