Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th February 2013, 08:51 AM

Default Newington College and YSSY

Newington College is school at Stanmore directly in line with 13R, about 4km from the threshold.

Newington is 150 years old this year and had published a book A Sesquicentenary History 1863-2013.

Whole section in the book called “Under the Flight Path”, a small extract

One of the first things any first-time visitor to Newington’s Stanmore campuses will be the sudden, sometimes constant, appearance of aircraft overhead. Conversation dies, commands and calls on the sporting fields cease. ……….

Apparently some plane-spotting students are expert in identifying the international airlines that pass overhead. Others use the noisy moments to get away with the with the odd obscenity, or chose the moment when visiting sporting teams, unused to seeing planes so close, are looking up, to take a quick tap or sneak a run.

As the school is now double glazed, the aircraft noise no longer interrupts classes etc

My boys have/are at Newington, and I know of another senior member of this board who son is also at Newington Stanmore.
Old 13th February 2013, 11:07 AM
Prolific Member

No doubt a typo, but for the irregular visitors here the runway is 16R, not 13R.