Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th December 2009, 03:02 PM

The Staff at BA are totally aware they need to accept some change to help the company. The Cabin Crew alone offered 60 million in change for savings to the company. The staff are not so blind as to not see they need to help. They just want negotiation in how that is done, which to me, is reasonable.

I do not, for a minute, totally trust any company executive in these times. They know they will get through this, and opportunism is rife. But as I say, these strikes will not actually occur - BA management can't afford them to. They'll go back to the negotiating table. But if the Cabin Crew can show them a solid force to be dealt with, at least a fair (to both sides) agreement is possible.
Old 18th December 2009, 06:26 PM

Why do I get the feeling a certain Michael O'Leary is taking more than a passing interest in this.
He wants a premium long haul carrier, where he can charge lots for the front cabins and next to nothing in economy, using staff on lower wages and conditions.

MOL will get rid of the short haul euro routes, they will fly FR.

MOL can then sell the slots at LHR & LGW vacated by the demise of the euro ops to the highest bidder.

The buying of BA by MOL would be cost neutral, with the redundancies and the pension fund shortfall being funded from small change in MOL's back pocket.

Bye, Bye BA.
.....and the Australian dinosaur airline will go a similar way.

Sad i know, but that's evolution.
Old 18th December 2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
I do not, for a minute, totally trust any company executive in these times.
and so those cabin crew should trust the unions to protect them when they can't even get the ballot right and does a royal f* up?

on one side you have people running an airline operation and they pay staff for their work; on the other side you have an union that collects fees for so-called 'representing' their members and can't even get a thing as simple as a ballot right (so far they haven't achieved anything substantial for their members - all they have achieved is to dent the public's confidence and reputation of their member's employer - which is nothing material for the cabin crew).

Tell me why any of the travelling public deserves to suffer uncertainties in their travel plans during such a busy time of the year?

Strangely enough some people choose to fly asian carriers because of their (perceived) better customer service and price of air fares. What they don't consider is how much less each cabin crew are paid comparatively and how these airlines are undercutting the legacy carriers which pay more to the operating crew. And then some people are led to think BA's cabin crew are underpaid and this or that. Ironic isn't it? The fact is simple. Evolve or get left behind. simple as that.

If conditions are really so bad in a company - vote with your feet and work for another company with better work and pay conditions. The reason most won't do that is because they know they are already better off already. Unions are good at rewarding scumbags - they don't do jack for the hard workers or those who deserves their genuine representation.

Last edited by D Chan; 18th December 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:48 PM

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0312-q4ee.html

Kind regards,

Geoff