Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st April 2009, 11:32 AM

Isnt lighters and matches already banned from taking on board a aircraft..
Old 21st April 2009, 11:58 AM

Nope!

Quote:
Safety matches (one small packet) or a cigarette lighter that does not contain unabsorbed liquid fuel, other than liquefied gas, intended for use by an individual when carried on the person. Lighter fuel and lighter refills are not permitted on one's person nor in checked or carry-on baggage.
Note: "Strike anywhere" matches are forbidden for air transport.
These items (such as normal safety matches) are allowed to be carried on your person.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:05 PM

With all the post 9/11 security measures I am surprised lighters, matches etc weren't prohibited. I don't see why a ban on those things can't be assessed as they are not required onboard for any reason.
Old 21st April 2009, 01:11 PM
Prolific Member

OK I'm curious, how would you propose that they effectively police something like that?
Old 21st April 2009, 01:20 PM

Nigel I have no idea what technology is available, if any, to police a ban like that but perhaps in the future there may be a way.
Old 21st April 2009, 01:39 PM

I think the original reason they were allowed on board after smoking was prohibited was due to the fact they are unsafe to carry in hold luggage. It was safer to have them on your person where they can't accidently start a fire in the hold.

That was as a dangerous goods perspective.

Since the shoe bombing attempt numerous years ago, I'm surprised that they haven't placed a ban on carrying them. It would just mean that it is impossible to carry lighters/matches to where you are going, which I'm sure would upset those who need a cigarette immediately before and after a flight, but accomodations for those people can be made in airport smoking lounges.

As to if it is possible to police - It is no more difficult to police than the ban on liquids. The new scanning technology that is on its way shows an alarming amount of detail, almost down to being able to tell your religion and I'm sure matches would show up
Old 21st April 2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
almost down to being able to tell your religion
As if my toga and sandles (aka flip flops or jandles for the Kiwi audience) didn't give it away!!!!