Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th August 2009, 11:04 PM

Is anyone aware of any PP sharers in the Canberra area. I have been thinking about getting PP but as im in Canberra thought it would be a bit pointless to get it if I can't see any traffic nearby.

Cheers
Old 18th August 2009, 11:08 PM

Not sure who it is and not sure how right i am but i think "j5" is a canberra sharer? Noel, can you confirm.

Old 18th August 2009, 11:57 PM

Gerard

From an old list I made up there is/was a 'Bob P..." in Canberra with code j0 which may be the person you're thinking of and may now have a code of j5.

HTH
Peter
Old 19th August 2009, 07:31 AM

Can confirm Peter's post that Bob P is now using "j5". Not sure of his exact location in the "Bush Capital" but should give you good coverage for the area. From memory can get plots down low into Fairbairn (that's showing my age) with the occasional ones on the ground. He is not on at the moment, so can't check.

A few sharers in Sydney and Melbourne are able to feed mid to high level plots over the ACT for you to pick up.

Jeff, will keep an eye open for Bob's feed and let you know what you could expect with PP.

Noel White
Old 19th August 2009, 08:38 AM

I quite often pick up Canberra aircraft via the regular Sydney providers. It's not really exciting for ADS-B enabled aircraft the most I see is the 2 x ADF BBJ's and some of the QF aircraft.
Old 19th August 2009, 02:09 PM

Yeah i usually have good coverage on pp with canberra all the way till they are 500ft off the ground and lower.
One of two questions, with the airshow in townsville coming up, are there any permanent sharers in that area?
And i've turned on the satellite image for the chart on pp how do i turn it off now

Old 19th August 2009, 03:06 PM

Gerard

There is Dave in Townsville not sure of his current sharer code; don't expect too much on PP for an airshow as it will be either Mode-S or zilch for military combat a/c. Depending on what turns up you may get ADS-B for some civil stuff.

To turn off satellite you need to click on the A,B,C,D buttons if you have saved your normal chart as one of these or the 'quick chart' buttons ( 1 to 10)

HTH

Peter
Old 19th August 2009, 03:21 PM

Just checking all the plots for Oz; Dave is still n7.
Old 19th August 2009, 05:48 PM

Yep, I am n7 and feed to PP 24/7.

We have daily military movements into Townsville of C17's & C130's etc, but all are only Mode-S so they will not show up on PP, so I wouldn't get to excited when the Air Show hits town, but PP will be on so you never know, might get the odd one.....maybe.

Other military movements into TSV are the Hi-Fly A330's and RAAF King Air's and some of these are ADS-B so you will spot them on PP every now and then into and out of TSV.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 19th August 2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks peter and dave. But just wondering, if your feeding pp and i download the positionless data you still recieve the logs of the military ones but just no location date like the longitute and latitude? Because i get RAAF and USAF logs nearly every day?