Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th April 2009, 10:21 PM

Favourite takeoff was actually a rejected takeoff QF 767 Kaitak-Perth back in the late 90's will never forget the full throttles for 10 seconds or so then the anchors slammed on due to a cx aircraft popping tyres on landing. Worst part was joining the queue again!

Best Landing. Landing at Kaitak was always a awesome feeling. Usually enjoy the views of London out of the window if its a clear day. Also landing in Bali is always good as the first time you see the land it hits home you are on holiday.

Also the numerous jump seat landings in QF767's prior to Sep 11 were up there!

Cheers
Old 20th April 2009, 11:13 PM

I have to agree with Tim C that the approach over London on a clear day is one of the most magical sights.

For memory, I wont forget my first take off on the 767 out of Brissie, and landing in Darwin. Also a night landing in Dehli will stick in my mind forever, but maybe not for the right reasons!
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:38 AM

My favorite takeoff would be flying out from Wau in New Guinea in a Co-Air BN Islander, down the one way field and then circling the town whilst climbing for just over an hour to clear the mountains (and clouds) for the trip to Port Moresby.
Favorite landing, sitting in the jump seat of an East West Airlines F27 coming in to land on Sydney's runway 16R, at night. Truly magic.

Peter.
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:12 AM

Smile Memories, memories ...

Most memorable landings:

1982 in a CX 743 from LHR into Kaitak during a monsoon after three GAs and insufficient fuel for a fourth GA. I'm sure I even saw some local residents peaking out from behind their washing with fingers crossed for us! Violent lurching, abrupt power changes, aquaplaning - this one had the lot! I was too innocent to be scared back then.

1984 water landing in a Sunderland taxiing across a coral reef and all the way up the beach on a Fiji resort island - surprised the tyres didn't puncture on the sharp coral but the pilot was confident the a/c weight would break the coral before that could happen (not too eco-friendly in those days!)

Most memorable takeoff was a 1986 Garuda flight from Denpasar (can't remember which a/c - possibly a 767 variant) with two aborted attempts to rotate before a third successful attempt, dodging potholes in the runway as well. Once had a t-shirt that said "I flew Garuda and survived". A bit more topical these days than it was back then.

Favourite flight was a 1989 ride in the Colgate corporate helicopter from 34th Street helipad in Manhattan to the corporate research facility in Piscataway, New Jersey via all landmarks along the way (WT towers were still there too).

Not sure why all my memorable/favourites are from the 1980s but they are. Maybe I'm more blase about travel these days.
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:58 PM

Most Memorable flight:

My first ever flight - SQ 747-200 or 300 - SYD/SIN/DBX/ZHR vv - In March/April 1987 - Departed rwy 16 at SYD (yes 16 - no L or R in those days) on a brilliantly sunny early autumn Sydney afternoon - Even though I only have a very vague memory of it (I was only 8 years old at the time) That day of my first flight has always held a certain magical quality for me. It was the day I started my enthusiam for flying an enthusiam that is still going 22 years later. I would give anything to relive that day if I could.

Hardest landing:

A toss up between Air Pacific 767 landing at NAN and/or returning to SYD on a trip to Fiji - 1997 - bone jarring rattling affairs - At least they were positive touchdowns

Also Pacific Blue crosswind landing in Christchurch in 2004 - 737-800 - Although probably a very smooth landing under the circumstances considering what the weather was like.

Most interesting approach:

Approach/landing to Hamilton Island from BNE on Ansett 737-300 back in 1994 circling approach over the Whitsundays. Quite pictureseque.

Best takeoff:

Return flight from Hamilton Island to BNE in Ansett BAe 146-200 - 1994 - Taking off from Hamilton Island seemed we left terra firma with about 2 metres of runway to spare

Also takeoff from SYD to BNE - 2002 - Boeing 747-400 (VH-NLH) - QF25 - my first trip in a 744 - first time I have seen or noticed the wing tips flex - I imagine we would have been fairly light operating such a short sector in a 747

Smoothest landing:

QF Dash 8 landing runway 07 at SYD from PQQ in 2001 - I swear I did not feel the wheels touch the runway

Roughest approach:

Dash 8 night approach to rwy 03 at PQQ several years ago - Plane was being tossed around all over the place for the last 15 minutes or so of the flight. With high RPM engine settings all the way down. Then we must have hit a patch of smooth air on short final as the touchdown was surprisingly good.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:10 PM

Favourite Landing - TG Domestic A300. Ubon to old BKK. Crew and some pax still standing in aisles on landing. Mai Pen Rai (No Worries). Arrived at remote gate and obviously forgot to start APU (or some problem) as no lighting so exit by torchlight / following strip lighting
Departure on TG 737 from Trang memorable as entire TG Trang ground staff came to wave goodbye to departing aircraft. They only got a morning and afternoon flight.
Last year QF 747-400 go around due to cross wind at LHR - diversion to Amsterdam then return landing 4 hours later still in cross wind. 5 year old daughter said - better hold hands this landing might be scary - then she fell asleep!
Any landing coming home after a work trip is a good landing!
Old 13th June 2009, 02:10 AM

To breathe some new life into this topic again, no-one said, at least i dont think they did, that your favourite take-off had to be one that you were on. So here is one that i found in an old email which is a beauty. Chances are that you have all seen it but still its a great take-off! Enjoy!
Old 14th June 2009, 03:06 PM

That is insane!!!! Love the commentary from the camera man. Is that Canberra airport?
Old 14th June 2009, 03:25 PM

Yea i think it is Canberra from what i read a while ago. The commentary is the best. "We have Smirnoff" hahaha
Old 1st March 2011, 04:08 PM

Hey, first post here (And probably a massive thread bump too)

I would say favourite landing would be in august 2010 flying on a QF Q400 into Sydney, 34R. Smoothest approach I have ever experienced with long, smooth turns over the sparkling ocean in the early morning sunlight. All this contrasted with the landing which was a bit of a bounce, sideways too although I didn't think it was windy, followed by turning off the runway at what seemed like an insane speed with engines still roaring in reverse.

Another favourite landing would be into my local airport, me in the left seat doing a trial flight in a Foxbat A22 Light Sport Aircraft (Google it, nice little plane). Instructor landing from the right seat and there was a bit of a crosswind and we were high on final so he put the aircraft into a slip via crossing the controls. Was awesome fun flying sideways over the busy road under the approach path

Not sure about favourite takeoff(s) as there have not been that many. 34R takeoff on a Q400 in SYD was pretty good, maybe even the takeoff on the same flight as my fav landing was, as the acceleration seemed much greater than jets I have been on.

I don't have many different takeoffs and landings to compare, as most of my flights have been in 737 type aircraft, with a couple in QF Q400's.