Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th June 2008, 02:08 PM
Prolific Member

Nope, not yet.
Old 27th June 2008, 04:03 PM

Can an A380 land on rwy 25 if it were fully loaded with passengers?? I would love to see that as I live under the 25 approach
Old 27th June 2008, 04:37 PM

I seem to remember that it did land on 25 once, during the demo flights.

But it's Friday after all, and I wouldn't put it past my mind to play tricks on me by this time of the week...
Old 27th June 2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David O. View Post
Can an A380 land on rwy 25 if it were fully loaded with passengers?? I would love to see that as I live under the 25 approach
I would be surprised if it could - when it is using 34L/16R, it does roll longer than the other heavies. Maybe the runway is not long enough but I would have thought it would have to be able to land on that runway if 34L/16R is closed (I could be very wrong though)
Old 27th June 2008, 05:21 PM
Prolific Member

Rwy 07/25 and its associated taxiways are fully capable of taking the A380, and the A380 is more than capable of using Rwy 07/25 if its weights and balances add up.

Erik, I do remember that during the demo flight stage there was talk of it being put on Rwy 07/25 for one of the arrivals, but it was changed to 16R/34L. This caused all sorts of angst for the media that were there to capture the arrival. Other than that I don't recall it ever using 07/25.

Cheers
Nigel
Old 27th June 2008, 05:25 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
I would be surprised if it could - when it is using 34L/16R, it does roll longer than the other heavies. Maybe the runway is not long enough but I would have thought it would have to be able to land on that runway if 34L/16R is closed (I could be very wrong though)
Sarah, it often only uses around 2400-2800m of runway (compared to the 3962m at its disposal), and I dare say it isn't giving its engines absolute max thrust on take-off on 16R/34L.
Also, the straightening of Twy Golf, the removal of Hangars 1 and 2 as well as the old fire station was done primarily to accomodate the A380.

Personally I'm surprised it's taken this long to use 07/25 since its introduction.
Old 27th June 2008, 06:04 PM

Having been on the 380 only last month, I can tell you that the early morning arrival basically glides down the approach path and they roll out the flaps as need be, with the engines seemingly not producing much thrust at all.

The long rollouts would be more a convenience thing and not wanting to place unnecessary wear and tear on the braking systems.

I've got no doubt that when an RPT A380 eventually does land on 07/25, pulling up on the available length even with a full load won't be a problem.
Old 27th June 2008, 06:36 PM
Prolific Member

They found that with the quick turn-arounds, the brakes weren't cooling sufficiently if they stopped at either Alpha-2 of Alpha-4, depending on the runway direction in use, hence the longer rollout.

16R landings were going all the way to the end, and 34L were going to Golf or Foxtrot. By the time Alpha-5 got widened, Singapore changed their schedule to have a longer layover.

I believe they have had an updated brake cooling system fitted to their 4 A380's since their introduction.
Old 27th June 2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Rwy 07/25 and its associated taxiways are fully capable of taking the A380, and the A380 is more than capable of using Rwy 07/25 if its weights and balances add up.

Erik, I do remember that during the demo flight stage there was talk of it being put on Rwy 07/25 for one of the arrivals, but it was changed to 16R/34L. This caused all sorts of angst for the media that were there to capture the arrival. Other than that I don't recall it ever using 07/25.

Cheers
Nigel
I remember that well...one minute it was 34L, then it was 16R, then it was 25, then it was back to 16R... I can't actually remember the runway it eventually landed on??? We were on and off those buses several times!
Old 27th June 2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
I believe they have had an updated brake cooling system fitted to their 4 A380's since their introduction.
Correct. SKA had to have a retrofit after SKB arrived. The other three and subsequent aircraft had the mod fitted before delivery.