Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 2nd January 2012, 03:48 PM

Default Farnborough 2012

I am looking at going over for this, just wondering how it compares to say Avalon?

Anyone been? 9-15th July this year. Never been to that part of the world so would be great to do some Cessna flying and spotting also.

Otherwise there is always Oshkosh!

Last edited by Lukas M; 2nd January 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:40 PM

I've done 7 Farnboroughs and 2 Avalons ... There really is no comparison .. Farnborough is everything that Avalon tries to aspire . You will be amazed at the variety and number of aircraft at Farnborough . It should be on every aviation persons " must do " list .. As a indication of cost for private hire , I hired a Cirrus SR20 G3 for 175GBP /HR in November last year from Wolverhampton Business Airport , I thought that was very compatible with what you would expect to pay in Australia ..
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:53 PM

David do tickets sell out quickly for farnborough and where is the best place to book them, I'm guessing over the net is the easiest...
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:09 PM

Ticket sales are not too much of an issue . I have never had any problems getting tickets , even close to the event . I would recommend getting tickets pre event though , and through the airshow website too . I haven't even checked if the website is up and running yet for this years show . In addition if you are seriously considering attending , I would most definitely make an effort to get to the RIAT ( Royal International Air Tattoo ) held at nearby RAF Fairford held at about the same time . This is the premier military air show in the World , there have been some very unexpected and exotic military visitors to this show over the years ... Good luck in your travels ..

PS: just checked and the RIAT is on the weekend before Farnborough ie, July 7th and 8th
Dave C

Last edited by David C; 2nd January 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:58 AM

Just to annoy the hell out of you, you may want to do a little overtime. Airfares for this time will go nuts due to the Olympic Games starting around this time. You may want to look at flying into a European country and taking the train. I would think you wont get much change out of $3500 - $4000 return ex Mel.

Farnborough is about 20 minutes from the Brooklands Museum in my trip.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:23 PM

Thanks guys. Forgot about London 2012, so Oshkosh it is!

Old 7th January 2012, 06:47 AM

I've seen airfares for a good deal less than $2000 rtn during the Olympics/ Farnborough period . China Southern are advertising " low season fares for high season times" and Korean Air is very reasonable too .. Very tempting ..

Dave C