Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th May 2008, 12:29 PM

Post Brisbane Airport Corporation: Temporary to halt cycling on Airport roads from 26 May.

Quote:
Good morning,

Brisbane Airport Corporation (BAC) recently stated its intention to call for a temporary to halt cycling on Airport roads from 26 May 2008. BAC is strongly discouraging cyclists from using Airport roads at this time by calling for the temporary halt given the significant construction activity underway both on and around the Airport road system.

BAC is calling for the Airport community to understand its reasons for calling for the temporary halt and to elect to cooperate in the interest of safety. BAC is aware that some cyclists will continue to ride on Airport roads, but is encouraging cyclists to look for alternative modes of transport during this busy construction phase. Please be aware that BAC is responsible for discouraging cycling on Airport roads, it is not something that you or your staff should attempt to enforce should you see a cyclist on the Airport road network.

Alternatives to cycling to Brisbane Airport
  • Bus route 308 - servicing Chermside, Wavell Heights, Nundah, Toombul, Number 1 Airport Drive (DFO) and the Da Vinci Centre (visit www.translink.com.au phone 13 12 30 for more information).
  • Bus route 320 - servicing Chermside, Wavell Heights, Eagle Junction (for Airtrain connection), Bowen Hills, Fortitude Valley and the City (visit www.translink.com.au phone 13 12 30 for more information).

Please note that both bus services are operating on a trial basis, with bus route 308 due for review end of June and bus route 320 in August.
  • Airtrain (For information on the Airtrain, including details on discounted tickets available to Brisbane Airport staff, go to www.airtrain.com.au)
  • Carpooling

With more than 75,000 vehicles accessing the Airport every day, BAC sees the implementation of a dedicated on-Airport cycle path system with links to off-Airport cycle paths as key to providing safe cycle access to the Airport. BAC will continue to work with Government agencies to fast track the delivery of these off-Airport links so that it can implement its own cycle path system. We will keep you informed on the progress of this activity in the coming months.

BAC will continue to discourage cycling on Airport roads until a safe alternative for cyclists is implemented.

Yours faithfully,

Marissa Brazier
on behalf of
Brisbane Airport Corporation’s Major Projects
Telephone: 1300 732 240
Just figured i'd forward that on.
Old 20th May 2008, 12:53 PM

Outrageous!
Old 20th May 2008, 01:01 PM
Prolific Member

By the time you cycle to Bris-Vegas to lodge your protest, the works will be complete. So stop your biatching, biatch!
Old 20th May 2008, 01:25 PM

Bring back the scooter brigade, I say!!
Old 20th May 2008, 07:59 PM

With the traffic the way it was today cycling would have been a better alternative. It is mainly due to the amount of construction and roadworks going on around the airport. The amount of semi trailers using the airport roads has increased quite a bit. Some trips from the airport can take upto 30 minutes just to leave the airport area, not a good impression for visitors. If only the infastructure was thought of before hand.

Regards

Michael

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldawson/
Old 20th May 2008, 08:13 PM

Thumbs up

A slightly different take on this one from me, I seem to suspect that it's a subtle way of getting the message out to those damn annoying lane and road hogging cycle groups that like to scoot about in the early morning hours.... particularly on weekends. The AM period at Brisbane is by far the busiest with the majority of International movements occuring in this time. To have lanes on the main road to and from the airport clogged by a "cog" of cyclists ("cog" is my collective noun for a group of bike riders) is certainly not an effective use of the infrastructure that is the airport road network.

Am I correct in saying the roads are on private land and therefore Brisbane Airport Corp are entitled to make whatever rules they see fit within the boundaries of their land? If so I'd happily support the introduction of a rule banning any group dressing like they are racing in the Tour de France from riding their bikes anywhere near the airport or any other traffic critical part of town for that matter.

Perhaps it's time for an advertising campaing against the amatuer peddlers that hit the bitumen every weekend....... I suggest it be called the "Get a Car" campaign

I apologise to anyone here who is an avid and/or professional cyclist but years of travelling Southern Cross Drive in Sydney in the early morning has led me to believe that these people really don't take their safety seriously. Often bikes are poorly lit bikes and have riders that would struggle to pass an RTA driving test.

I congratulate B.A.C. for taking this outstanding initiative.
Old 20th May 2008, 08:31 PM

It is as bad down here. Maybe the solution is to make them pay a rego fee and licence fee to ride in Lycra.
Old 20th May 2008, 08:58 PM

The Loop Roaders will miss them !

Mulga Bill
Old 20th May 2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Raftery View Post
The Loop Roaders will miss them !
Holy snapping Canon shutters Mick! Like every rule, there are obvious exceptions and she certainly appears to be one of them! Welcome to the board mate, your first post was brilliant..... I am sure you can maintain the high standard you've set for yourself.

Anyone care to insert the pic into a "caption this" thread

Last edited by Craig Murray; 20th May 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 20th May 2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks Craig - spotting the fokkers is a wheelie good hobby.