Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2009, 02:22 AM

If the BOM service will go via Singapore instead of axing it, could it be excessive capacity for the Sydney - Singapore leg, as there's already too many flights bewteen these 2 cities?

Currently they are doing 2x Daily + 1x BA Daily + 3x QF81/82 = 24x Weekly.
If adding the BOM via SIN service (3x Daily), it would become 27x Weekly.

SQ's been trying to add 4th service to SIN but unfortunately failed.

In my opinion, the possible happy ending to QF's BOM service is to associate with Cathay Pacific by adding the QF code on CX's BKK - BOM service (CX 750 & CX 751), in connection with QF 1/2/301/302.

Timetable for these services:
Sydney - Bangkok
QF 1 1805/2310
QF 301 1730/2245

Bangkok - Mumbai
CX 750 1720/2005

Mumbai - Bangkok
CX 751 0520/1045

Bangkok - Sydney
QF 2 1725/0625 +1
QF 302 1705/0610 +1

Hence, QF may need to pursuade Cathay to change time for their CX750 & 751 service and connect with QF301/302. QF can try to end it's AF SYD - HKG - CDG codeshare and codeshare HKG-CDG with CX instead in exchange for the codeshared and time changed BKK <> BOM service.

CX currently operates 4x Weekly on this route, hence the codeshared service would be even more frequent then QF's 3x Daily now.
Old 3rd January 2009, 08:40 AM

On the marketing side, yes you don't see big billboards promoting the destination. There is a lot of money going into the A380 product and Premium Y - that is where the focus has to be.

From a sales perspective, I can tell you a lot of money and resources has been invested in India and EZE - the main focus of the message is to travel agents, that is where the market is. The account managers push BOM as a destination and generally when I speak to agents, they say that it is a difficult market. There is only a small corporate market so the rest has to be made up of leisure travellers. Not many Australians want to go to India for a holiday - they would rather go somewhere else and even with the huge Indian population, Australia is not a top destination for them.

They are pushing it quite a bit and won't give it up easily - they are fighting until it is a lost cause.
Old 3rd January 2009, 10:35 AM

The loads i see to BOM are usually pretty solid.

Now that the flight is direct with the 332 you would imagine some $$ are being saved.

You also need to think about how many domestic pax this flight generates particually from MEL, BNE etc.

My guess is the issue will be resolved and the flight will continue.

Speaking of EZE I have heard its performing ahead of target. Loads on that service always look pretty strong.
Old 3rd January 2009, 07:59 PM

On the question of codeshare flights to India, QANTAS already codeshares on Jet Airways daily flights from Singapore to Delhi and Mumbai. Similarly, Jet Airways codeshares on QANTAS flights from Singapore to Australian destinations.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:32 PM

Hi All,

I think Qantas should drop Sydney altogether, and ops the flight MEL - SIN - BOM - SIN - MEL.

This would give us a 2nd Qantas Singapore Flight, as the only other flight we have is QF9 which departs about 16:30 I think which ops to LHR via SIN

Stuart
Old 6th January 2009, 06:58 AM

The issue has been resolved and SYD-BOM-SYD direct ops will continue.