Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th January 2009, 03:18 PM

Default Nancy Bird Walton dies at 93

As reported on news.com.au

Quote:
AUSTRALIAN aviation pioneer Nancy Bird Walton has died at her Sydney home, aged 93.
Named a Living National Treasure by the National Trust of Australia in 1997, Ms Walton died from natural causes about 2pm (AEDT) on Tuesday at Mosman on Sydney's north shore.

Ms Walton was 17 when she learned to fly in 1933, taught by Charles Kingsford Smith.

Two years later she became the first woman in Australia to obtain her commercial pilot's license.

Ms Walton went on to pioneer an air ambulance service for outback New South Wales.

In October last year, she attended the inaugural Australian landing of Qantas' first super passenger jet the A380, named the Nancy Bird Walton in her honour.

"I was asked if Qantas could name this plane after me at my 90th birthday three years ago and I made it my decision to stay alive," she said at the ceremony in Sydney.

She was also Commandant of the Women's Air Training Corps from 1940-45, the founder and longtime president of the Australian Women's Pilot Association and Emeritus Patron of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Awarded an OBE in 1966, Ms Walton became a Dame of the Knights of Malta in 1977 and in 1990 was awarded an AO by the Australian government.

Ms Walton is survived by her daughter, Anne Marie, her son John, her grandchildren, Scott, Anna, Paul and Baron, and by her two great-grand children Lachlan and Zoe.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html
RIP Nancy, you ran a good race and made many Australians proud,
Old 13th January 2009, 03:20 PM

Default Aviation pioneer Nancy Bird Walton dies

Quote:
Aviation pioneer Nancy Bird Walton dies

Australia's pioneering woman pilot, Nancy-Bird Walton, has died aged 93.

She died from natural causes about 2pm today at Mosman on Sydney's north shore.

After learning to fly at 17 in the 1930s, she was still a teenager when she operated an air ambulance service in outback NSW.

It meant landing in paddocks and on unsealed roads.

She was the first pupil of aviation great Charles Kingsford Smith when he founded a flying school in 1933.

But she was so short she needed two cushions to see out of the cockpit and reach the foot pedals.

The first woman to gain a commercial pilot's licence in Australia, she was named a Living National Treasure in 1997 .

Qantas named its first A380 super jumbo after Ms Walton.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...608691796.html
Old 13th January 2009, 03:23 PM

A sad day indeed for aviation and Australia. May her name and efforts in aviation live on for many generations to come.

Rest in Peace Nancy - you are now free to fly forever.
Old 13th January 2009, 03:29 PM

Such a great shame a great loss. I am glad she survived to see her name on the side of the A380, that would have been a very huge honour for her.

My condolences to her family.
Old 13th January 2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien b View Post

Rest in Peace Nancy - you are now free to fly forever.

Amen !
Old 13th January 2009, 03:42 PM

RIP Nancy - I am currently reading her biography and I am still amazed at what she has achieved. She said she would stay alive to see the A380 with her name on it - I am glad she managed to get there. She is truly an inspiration and someone that inspires me to love aviation so much.
Old 13th January 2009, 04:23 PM

Default Nancy Bird Walton - R.I.P

Just heard on the new...

Nancy passed away earlier today.

Thoughts and condolences to all of her family.
Old 13th January 2009, 04:45 PM
Prolific Member

Having met Nancy-Bird Walton a few years ago (and even having her come around to my house thanks to Timmsy, who was giving me a lift home before dropping Nancy-Bird to her hotel), I can only say Australia has lost an absolute icon, not just for the aviation community, but for the country as a whole.

An amazing woman who lived an amazing life.
RIP Nancy-Bird Walton.
Old 13th January 2009, 04:56 PM

I concur with all the above sentiments.

I was lucky enough to meet her on a few occassions whilst walking down the streets in Mosman and Neutral Bay.

Always liked a chat about all things aviation.

RIP Nancy.

Regards.
Old 13th January 2009, 05:55 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

A photograph to treasure.

I felt very sad to hear of the passing of Nancy Bird Walton, a truly great Australian aviator. She was genuine and charming to talk, my thoughts are with Nancy's family.

Hopefully QF A380 OQA lives up to Nancy's reputation, and keeps all she achieved in our minds.