Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st February 2024, 05:26 PM

Default VH- Registrations

I know that a new registration system was implemented because the present three letter alphabetic system was supposedly nearing exhaustion and three characters were retained because it would have been hugely expensive for CASA to change their computer systems to four characters - ie VH-AAAZ.

However, I don't understand why there is a plethora of new styles - ie Numeric/alpha/alpha ; VH-8IC, Alpha/numeric/alpha ; VH-X4B, Numeric/numeric/alpa; VH-88T and Alpha/alpha/numeric ; VH-AC6.

And the old three letter alphabetic system is still being used ; VH-FOH.

Surely it would have been easier to just use one style. Am I missing something?
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
I know that a new registration system was implemented because the present three letter alphabetic system was supposedly nearing exhaustion and three characters were retained because it would have been hugely expensive for CASA to change their computer systems to four characters - ie VH-AAAZ.

However, I don't understand why there is a plethora of new styles - ie Numeric/alpha/alpha ; VH-8IC, Alpha/numeric/alpha ; VH-X4B, Numeric/numeric/alpa; VH-88T and Alpha/alpha/numeric ; VH-AC6.

And the old three letter alphabetic system is still being used ; VH-FOH.

Surely it would have been easier to just use one style. Am I missing something?

The same scenario happened in Canada some years ago when they were running out of available registrations too . They changed from a CF-*** registration to a C- F*** and C- G*** , no numerical combinations were implemented . I was wondering why a V-H*** and V-J *** couldn’t have been adopted , this would have provided 26x the current registration combinations without numbers being used .. Am I missing the obvious too ..
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:13 AM
Prolific Member

AAA-ZZZ gives 17,576 combinations (based google search), there are 16,465 on the current register which includes alphanumeric regos.

The 17,576 combinations doesn't include the removal of in-appropriate regos and reserved rego blocks like VH-ZNx series for QF 787s.

When QQ started to register their E190's they had ask rego owners in the block they wanted to use to change regos. I expect this was at QQ's cost.

For those who are old enough to remember Y2K, this caused an enormous COST as each program had to scanned and checked for the occurrence of an YY instead of a YYYY year field. Once found, programs had to changed, tested and re-integrated.

To change VH-XXX to VH-XXXX is a MASSIVE undertaking in IT COST, similar to Y2K.

Also, there is a hardware storage cost (disk space) which needs to be considered.

I can't give you a $Aus value as I've I've been out of the IT industry for a while and haven't keep up with the current pricing.

To go to an alpha character, is a work-around to save costs.

CASA updates the available marks on a regular basis.

https://services.casa.gov.au/CSV/availablemarks.pdf

Will we go to VH-XXXX ? I don't know, but it will COST.

It is not as easy as it sounds.