Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th November 2008, 07:12 AM

Default Hoxton Park aerodrome closure

Does anyone know when it will close? Anyone have any aerial shots?

I have fond memories of the place back in 1971-72 when I landed there very frequently on my way from Bankstown to Camden.
Old 20th November 2008, 07:29 AM

Did a few 'touch & go's' myself when I was training out of Bankstown with Navair in 1991/92.

The airfield was meant to close next month and the whole site destined for housing etc.

I did hear recently that whoever 'bought' the airfield may pull out because of the housing slump and there was talk of a group buying the site and keeping it is an airfield!

Other members may have more recent/definite news.
Old 20th November 2008, 08:39 AM

Hi guys,
Hoxton Park is closing on the 15th December at 11pm.
A fly in for the last time is organized I think on the 15th but info is on this website
http://pilot.net.au/hoxtonpark/.
Indeed very sad to see it go, I was just doing some circuits there 2 days ago and there was about 7 or 8 aircraft in circuit and helicopters so it is definitely a vital component to Sydney flight training in addition to bankstown. As some have suggested, the 16/34 runway configuration is also unique in that it is aligned like Sydney Kingsford smith's main runways but the main thing is that after hoxton is gone there will be no alternates just near Bankstown for a North South config incase of high winds presenting themselves. Hopefully Camden and Bankstown remain open as a few tenants are already fighting over hangar leases and the sort such as Clamback and Hennesy at Bankstown on Tower Road.
Old 20th November 2008, 10:08 AM

If Ewan doesn't mind me pulling an old one of his from the archives....

YHOX a few years ago, overflying enroute to the Sydney Airport Message Board Non-Flying-Related Trip To Moruya...
Old 20th November 2008, 07:09 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I have dropped in a couple of times in the past month for a few circuits on my way back to Bankstown. It brought back memories of my first landing there back on the 22nd December 1968 in C150 VH-KQL and then again on 5th January 1969 in C150 VH-KPQ. On the first occasion the C150 had no door on the pilots side so it was an interesting, if somewhat windy and noisy trip out there (I double checked the seat belt).

The next visit was on 21st December 1969 in C172 VH-IAG after moving up a notch from the old C150.

It will be a great shame to see it close at year end, both from a safety and training point of view, the location was perfect in relation to Bankstown.

Definitely not progress and another nail in the box for GA in the Sydney area.
Old 21st November 2008, 06:41 AM

I have been advised by very reliable sources that have aircraft hangared at Hoxton Park that the closure date is " officially " the 15th December , however , the same person also said that they have to vacate their hangar (311) by the 25th November . The surprising development to the saga is that the whole site is now up for sale for only 20 Million !! . Skytrack Express are rumoured to be interested in setting up an aircargo base there , however a 1000M runway seems a little short to me for those type of operations , and being as most of the action would be overnight I can imagine to public opposition to such a proposal . The good news is that the Bi-monthly BBQ will continue but at its new venue of Wedderburn , dates to be finalised . Intersting times ahead !!
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:51 PM

The fuel bowsers have apparently been ripped up and Hoxton Park Aerodrome has been delisted off the ERSA. The end is very near.
Old 16th December 2008, 04:58 PM

Anyone else present as the last rites were read out over the CTAF yesterday afternoon by a bloke from BAL?

A very sad moment.

Last edited by Adam P.; 16th December 2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: grammuh
Old 16th December 2008, 08:09 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Farewell Hoxton.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:45 AM

I went past there yesterday (16th) and they have started to rip up the runway

Ray ...