Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd April 2009, 07:42 PM

Default CX experience HKG to ADL

Last October we took a trip to Honkers in Y class. In Adelaide and at the Melbourne stopover on the way there, we could buy water to drink on the plane before departure, after clearing customs. Following this practice for the homeward leg, we purchased drinking water in the departure lounge. It was confiscated by Australian customs at their check point on the aerobridge, by the door of the aircraft. Trying to get a soft drink or water from flight attendants on the 9 hour flight home was nigh-on impossible. I eventually went to the galley and asked for water and was given about 100mls in a disposable cup. I stood there, drank it, and asked for a re-fill. You would have thought I was asking for liquid gold. Arrived home feeling very dehyrated. I understand the Australian government's liquids rule, but I wish we had been told the implementation was different when leaving a foreign port to come to Australia. I also think if you can't bring water on with you, the airline has an obligation to keep you hydrated. We only ever saw the flight attendants during a meal service/drinks service. Apart from that they hid in the galley.
Old 2nd April 2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ramsay View Post
Now THATS Emirates!!

I flew Emirates for the first time AKL-MEL-AKL a couple of weeks back. I was in an exit row with an FA sitting in the jump seat opposite me on take off and landing. We were chatting on landing and she commented that I hadn't asked her for anything during the flight. "We are here to serve you, sir. You just have to ask ... and the alcohol is free."

... and no, Rhys, I wasn't in business class.
And no, I was not in Business either! About 2-3 secs after I pressed it, I saw him duck in under the stairs going up to First. He then came out and straight to me. So I assumed that he quickly checked the onboard seat alarm, checked the log (PC?) and gave me the service he thought I needed!

Nothing but praise for EK. Oh, and I filled out the Customer Satisfaction about my delay leaving Doha and missing my onward flight, I got 20,000 points for my troubles!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 2nd April 2009, 07:52 PM

Well then thats very impressive!

But I would laugh on a full flight and someone swapped seats...haha

In all seriousness, that has impressed me. I must press the call button Qatar Airways and see what response I get!
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
Last October we took a trip to Honkers in Y class. In Adelaide and at the Melbourne stopover on the way there, we could buy water to drink on the plane before departure, after clearing customs. Following this practice for the homeward leg, we purchased drinking water in the departure lounge. It was confiscated by Australian customs at their check point on the aerobridge, by the door of the aircraft. Trying to get a soft drink or water from flight attendants on the 9 hour flight home was nigh-on impossible. I eventually went to the galley and asked for water and was given about 100mls in a disposable cup. I stood there, drank it, and asked for a re-fill. You would have thought I was asking for liquid gold. Arrived home feeling very dehyrated. I understand the Australian government's liquids rule, but I wish we had been told the implementation was different when leaving a foreign port to come to Australia. I also think if you can't bring water on with you, the airline has an obligation to keep you hydrated. We only ever saw the flight attendants during a meal service/drinks service. Apart from that they hid in the galley.
Well... at least you got a cup of water. On my recent trip from Honker (again!) to Sydney, during sleeping time I asked a walk-pass FA for a glass of water. He told me to take my empty water bottle to the tap outside the toilets to fill it up myself and disappeared in the galley forever.

---------

My first A380 flight in December

Last edited by Guy W; 2nd April 2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:27 AM

my opinion is any one who presses the call button to get a drink etc. is lazy bugger

get off of your **** and walk to the galley, the exercise will do you good

Banjo
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
my opinion is any one who presses the call button to get a drink etc. is lazy bugger

Banjo
I'd be interested to know what the F/A's on the board think about that - I don't think I've ever actually pressed the call button, but on a recent flight to Melbourne I went up to the galley and asked for a coke, and they asked me to sit down and someone would be with me shortly - of course that never happened, but I got the feeling that they didn't like taking requests at the galley.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 3rd April 2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

Banjo
Nope, I am not lazy bugger, but I tend not to bother the passenger(s) next to me (especially when I don't get an aisle seat), this is particularly true when the passenger(s) is/are sleeping.

Cheers.
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:05 AM

Many thanks to those participated in the discussions.

Just to clarify that I am not bashing or anti-Qantas, but simply to express my personal experience and opinions about one particular aspect/case of Qantas inflight services.

Thanks anyway.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:37 AM

I think I read on an FA forum that Qantas FA's are only doing the absolute minimum because of their work conditions-sort of a protest?

I might be wrong, but I believe Qantas has pretty bad conditions for Flight Attendants
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:27 PM

Never had a problem with any airlines I have flown really but I will have to see what happens on my next international flight in June with Qantas.

I have always had pretty good service but I don't call for service too much really I guess. I do know one time I think Jon got up with Chloe and got her a water from the galley and they didn't mind either way.

I did find on our last Qantas flight that they were offering water or orange juice throughout the night anyway without having to ask for it. FA's were just going up and down the isle with a tray full of water and juice seeing if anyone wanted one every so often and this was on a flight from LA to Brisbane.

Annette