Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2010, 01:59 PM
Prolific Member

Default So aircraft noise really isn't that bad...for the majority

From http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225877964201

I wonder how prominantly Sonya McKay features in these figures...

I guess it goes to show the squeaky wheel always gets the oil...

Quote:
Vocal minority leads the charge on airport noise complaints

By Andrea Hayward From: AAP June 10, 2010 1:42PM

MORE than half the 24,000 complaints made about aircraft noise nationally were made by 20 people, a Senate hearing has been told.

Airservices Australia chief executive Greg Russell said his government-owned corporation had received nearly 24,000 complaints nationally last year from 4400 people.

"There's a large disparity between the number of complaints and the number of complainants at some of these locations," Mr Russell told a Senate committee investigating the effectiveness of his organisation's aircraft noise management.

"Of 24,000 complaints, more than half were from just 20 people."

Two-thirds of all complaints received in Perth were from the same two people, and a third of complaints in Sydney were from one person.

Mr Russell said it was imperative Airservices Australia got the public consultation process right ahead of a rollout of a new navigation system at major airports with the ability to share noise more precisely.

"We need to do a better job, frankly, of talking to the community about what these benefits are," he told the inquiry in Canberra today.

"I think, frankly, if the industry doesn't do that adequately, I see the opportunity for terrific technology that can help not just safety ... not being successful.

"And I think that would be a great shame."

Safety concerns at Perth airport had grown with a sharp rise in passenger traffic, he said.

In the past seven years the number of passengers at Perth airport had doubled, with a 130 per cent increase in the number of aircraft movements.

In 2009 more than 10 million passengers and 115,853 aircraft moved through Perth airport.

"Our own safety management system began to highlight (in 2002) that there was a growing safety aviation issue at Perth airport and in the airspace around Perth," Mr Russell said.

Airspace in the West Australian capital was limited because of the Pearce RAAF base on Perth's northeastern outskirts.

Acting RAAF chief Geoff Brown said any plan to shift civilian aircraft activity to Pearce, Australia's busiest Defence flying base, would severely impact on defence operations.

"The volume and complexity of aviation activity at RAAF base Pearce is generally incompatible with civilian aircraft operations," Air-Marshal Brown said.

"And that requires civilian aircraft either to climb above, remain below or be tracked around aviation activity occurring in Pearce restricted airspace."

Fly-in fly-out rotations of workers at mine sites had contributed to the sharp rise in passengers and planes at Perth airport.

But shifting those flights to the western edge of the Pearce base would demand a large amount of infrastructure and cause security issues, Air-Marshal Brown said.

It would not solve the main issue either, he said.

"I think what you would be doing is shifting the noise footprint from one part of Perth to another."

Civilian aircraft were not excluded entirely from the military airspace. In 13 months, 10,000 civilian flights had travelled through Pearce airspace.

RAAF air controllers worked alongside Airservices Australia staff at Perth airport, and both organisations were looking to harmonise their radar and air traffic control systems in the future.
Old 10th June 2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
"Of 24,000 complaints, more than half were from just 20 people."
Lets assume it's actually half (12,000) from just 20 people, then (if my maths is correct) it works out that these 20 people complain, on average, every 14hrs 40 mins. Umm, that's a lot.
Old 10th June 2010, 02:32 PM
Prolific Member

These complaints proudly brought to you by Telstra...and Optus...and 3...and Vodafone...and AAPT....and........
Old 10th June 2010, 09:36 PM

Not sure how true it was, but I remember a TV show talking about it. I think the complaints line is a freecall number, and the person they intervewed called 6 times in a 1 hr period.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:48 PM

Selfish gutless Squibs

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 10th June 2010, 10:45 PM

Default Noise

I think some people are not happy unless they complain about something, or have way too much time on their hands.

There is a little bunch of whingers here in Adelaide whinging about Parafield airport noise (yet many live near busy roads, railways etc).

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 11th June 2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
MORE than half the 24,000 complaints made about aircraft noise nationally were made by 20 people
To throw a little more fat on the fire, I would like to know how often these 20 individuals utilise the airport for the purposes of air travel. Subsequent to obtaining this information I would then like to know that when travelling by air would they be in favour of their flight crew having to make a difficult approach due to noise sharing procedures where another runway with a lesser crosswind component may be available.

It would probably surprise none of you to know that the Federal Member for Griffith is a financial supporter of a group seeking to curtail expansion at Brisbane Airport. The Member keeps pretty quiet in the Federal space on this matter but is locally known as a hater of aircraft noise. Perhaps he should take that into consideration when utilising the services of the RAAF for his transport needs, particularly during noise sensitive times of day.

I'll leave you to research who the current Member for Griffith is.
Old 12th June 2010, 07:45 AM

These folks should have a lifetime ban imposed on them from ever using an airport. We quite often have people in our street measuring noise levels from aircraft. No one in our street has been here before the airport, so I fail to understand the problem
Old 15th June 2010, 08:32 AM

I can understand the guy in Summer Hill being upset when Howard chaged the flight paths - there are more aircraft taking off over Summer Hill than there were pre-1997 (just like our place was barely noise affected in 1995, a reason we bought here).

But to maintain the rage to such an extent, with the aircraft becoming quieter all the time sounds like obsession in the face of reality to me.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:10 AM

Everyone needs something to do, don't they?

I live in an area of Perth which was directly impacted by the changes to the STARs for runway 03.

Gotta say, I love it. Virtually everything passes directly in front of my front door just before contacting the tower. Giddy up.

Last edited by Scott Loveday; 17th June 2010 at 12:22 AM.