Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2013, 12:12 PM

Default QF codeshare on EK flights MEL-AKL

Hi, wondering if the experts in this forum can help out with clarifying the QF/EK codeshare arrangements between Australia & NZ:

I booked a First Class fare MEL-AKL with QF codeshare flight number on EK metal. Problem is that 3 different Qantas people have given 3 different answers regarding check in / lounge access / Chauffer Drive.

Q.1 Flight is operated by EK with a QF flight number, so do I check in at QF or EK? With other airlines operating codeshare flights, I have always checked in at the operating airline, but 2 separate QF people told me to use QF checkin?

Q.2 What about lounge access? I am a QFF Plat so fairly sure I could get QF First lounge access if I wanted, but am I meant to use QF or EK lounge? I have used the QF first lounge at MEL numerous times, but how does that compare to EK Lounge, and what are the options in AKL for return flight?

Q.3 What about QF Chauffer Drive to / from airport? I have used it on QF flights to/from LAX and LHR before, but a QF staffmember told me I can use it on EK Aus-NZ flights (without long haul connecting flights to DXB). Not a big issue if I can't access, but EK seem to indicate that sole Aus-NZ itineraries are able to use service if flying first First, whereas Business Class need connecting long haul flight.

A lot of conflicting info floating around further compounded by QF staffmember advice (and the people they rang whilst I was on hold weren't sure either - including 1 who said "just turn up on the day and see what happens"), so would appreciate anybody who can give the definitive answer. Tried searching other posts and QF/EK website to no avail.

About all I am certain of is 2 things:
1. I will get QFF points and Status Credits using a QF codeshare number on EK metal.
2. This sort of confusion doesn't happen when flying Star Alliance.....

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:44 PM

Q1, normally on code shares you check in with the operating airline, so EK in this case. QF may well do it, but as mentioned that is not normally the case. You will find that the Qantas First class check-in is probably closed for the EK flight to NZ. If I recall it only opens or the QF flight to DXB in the afternoon.

Q2. EK or QF lounge, doesn't matter you have the right to use either.

Q3. Chauffer Drive in your case it isn't clear. Best bet is try to book, if it works great, if it doesn't then there is your answer. You can use your Qantas booking number on the Ek website to retrieve your booking and then click on the link to add Chauffer drive.

PS as for your 2nd point in things you are certain of, you are correct confusion like this doesn't happen when flying Star Alliance, though it is worth mentioning if you were flying OneWorld things are a lot clearer too.

In your case you are not flying a OneWorld airline you are flying Qantas code share on EK who are not OneWorld. Meaning there are special arrangements. Now I reckon if you went to a star carrier that had a partnership with a non star carrier you may well find similar issues. So please compare apples with apples.
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply Ash.

For reference, QF First check-in at MEL kerbside (next to 2nd crossover) would also be open in the morning for the QF flight to LAX, which is usually about 1 hr or so after the EK flight to AKL.

Fair comment re: comparing codeshare flights to Star & Oneworld experiences. Would be great though if QF codeshares on EK could be included on Oneworld RTW products (AONE5 / AGLOB34 etc) as it would fill in some gaps in the Oneworld network and save some backtracking to hubs.

All things considered, the EK /QF partnership is still a great outcome for the travelling public.