Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th February 2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
They said their simulator is approved by CASA for 737-800 training.
. Instrument training only.
Old 13th February 2014, 09:47 PM

I have got my license 2 on the sim, and enjoy flying it. Obviously there are some short comings and its not cheap, but who cares, its as close to the real thing that I will ever get.
Old 13th February 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
The best one in Sydney, with 6 degrees of hydraulic motion and effects is at The Edge Cinema in Katoomba. See http://www.vsjet.com.au. Any other sim is a waste of money, in my view.
Agreed, went on this sim a while ago and it's amazing. Much better than FE IMO. If you're willing to take a drive up to Katoomba it's well worth it. It's also cheaper; I received an hour flight for $140 (only a special though) and you feel many effects from wind-shear to touching down.

Last edited by Brad Varney; 13th February 2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 22nd February 2014, 05:01 PM

If it doesn't need to be a B737 that you want to fly, I can recommend the Sydney Jabiru flight training at Bankstown airport. They offer trial instructional flights. I haven't checked the current rates but about 2 years ago I did a one hour hands-on flight in their little 2 people propeller plane from Bankstown via Narrabean beach to Palm Beach and via Hornsby back to Bankstown airport. The price was a little more than $200. They also offer flight over the Blue Mountains ,etc.

I did the take-off, controlled the plane in the air and flew the approach. Only the final landing was made by the pilot.
I was allowed to take my camera with me and whenever I wanted to take pictures the pilot took over the control until I finished taking my pictures.

Before the flight I got some basic instructions about the instruments, how to trim the plane, etc. Before I only had little experience from flying in MS FlightSim and it was a really cool thing to fly a real plane. Far better than any simulator!
Old 23rd February 2014, 07:39 PM

I did a few hours in this sim for some Instrument Flying practice sometime ago, in preparation for an airline interview. It was the best money I've spent, as the environment of this simulator and the tasks I practiced gave me confidence to when I fronted a simulator check for the interview.

Even if you go there for leisure, I highly recommend it either for yourself, or better still, as a gift to someone not so aviation inclined. They'll be raving about the experience for ages!
Old 24th December 2014, 08:02 AM

I tried it out in July of this year - was the first time I had tried a full cockpit simulator and it was fantastic. In addition, the staff there were courteous and friendly and are all real pilots, so for someone like me who isn't in the industry a rare opportunity to chat direct with someone in that vocation.

Being a tourist attraction, they also stock a decent selection of aviation merchandise from the Boeing store.

With the cost, at the time I got in on a cheaper deal for school holidays and there are some Christmas specials on now too.

Highly recommended!
Old 5th January 2015, 10:00 AM

HI all,

As a birthday present, completed a 30 min flight at the Jet Flight Simulator at Niddrie in Melbourne. As a static sim it was great fun. Departed from YMML 34, touch and go at YMAV for a ILS into YMML 27.

Brother in law did YMML 27 departure into YMMB 17L touch and go followed by 34 landing YMML.

Would thoroughly recommend to anyone with a spare coin.

Link to the site can be found Here