Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th June 2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian C View Post
I've got no doubt that when an RPT A380 eventually does land on 07/25, pulling up on the available length even with a full load won't be a problem.
The A380 was designed from the start to be able to use any runway a 747 can, and when fully loaded, actually has better field performance than a similarly loaded late model 747-400. The main issues have been with the taxiways because the outboard engines on the 380 are about 12ft further out than on the 747 and are therefore susceptible to FOD.

At airports which are categorised as 'A380 ready', the main taxiways have been widened sufficiently, hence the work done on Sydney's Alpha, Tankee and Golf taxiways in recent years.
Old 27th June 2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Sarah, it often only uses around 2400-2800m of runway (compared to the 3962m at its disposal), and I dare say it isn't giving its engines absolute max thrust on take-off on 16R/34L.
Also, the straightening of Twy Golf, the removal of Hangars 1 and 2 as well as the old fire station was done primarily to accomodate the A380.

Personally I'm surprised it's taken this long to use 07/25 since its introduction.
Thanks for the explanation Nigel.
Old 27th June 2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Correct. SKA had to have a retrofit after SKB arrived. The other three and subsequent aircraft had the mod fitted before delivery.
What exactly did the brake mod comprise and why wasn't the poor cooling performance discovered during RTO and other flight-proving tests?
Old 27th June 2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Erik, I do remember that during the demo flight stage there was talk of it being put on Rwy 07/25 for one of the arrivals, but it was changed to 16R/34L. This caused all sorts of angst for the media that were there to capture the arrival. Other than that I don't recall it ever using 07/25.
Ah, that's what happened, then. I thought I remembered a crowd waiting over at that end that day. Thanks for the explanation, it's appreciated.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:17 PM

I watched it take off from the beach fence...

It did rotate at Bravo! VERY impressive! And much quieter than the B737's that had taken off before it!

Was surprised to see that the A380 wasn't given an overly generous timeframe to line up and depart - was exactly what all of the other aircraft were given (there was arriving traffic on 25 at the same time). Good to see that they have integrated it well into 'normal' airport operations.
Old 30th June 2008, 09:57 AM

Gotta love Taxiway "Tankee", one of my favourites!
Old 30th June 2008, 12:09 PM

FYI since we're on this. 5th A380 9V-SKE has been delivered over the weekend.