Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd December 2009, 12:07 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

I have contacted Scott and await a reply. We can only go on what they have provided to us at this stage.

I don't have any further update yet.
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:03 PM

I contacted him probably a month or so ago and was advised that the plan has not been forgotton.....
Old 15th January 2010, 01:57 PM

Wow....this sounds great ....could me in
Old 25th January 2010, 07:28 PM

Hi All,

I'm a new member based in Perth, and I'm also interested in setting up Airport Watch.

I think Airport Watch would be better as a national scheme. This scheme could either be managed centrally from Sydney, or by enthusiasts in each capital city.

Advantages of a national scheme are:
  • Members of Airport Watch could use their membership anywhere in Australia, not at one particular airport.
  • A national scheme would hold more weight with the authorities.
  • If any costs are involved (e.g. production of ID cards), then economies of scale may be achieved.

Can someone please update this thread regarding progress with the scheme, and their thoughts on making it national? I'm sure colleagues in other states would be interested in this.

Regards,
David Eyre
Perth, WA
Old 26th January 2010, 10:38 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Unfortunately the program is at a stand still at this point in time.

The AFP are in the process of developing the appropriate communication channels with relevant authorities before moving any further with any such program.

It would be in all enthusiasts' best interest to align with the AFP's plans in regards to any Airport Watch program; so when I'm aware of any further updates from them, I will do my best to keep you informed.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:31 PM

I had a chat with some AFP members at Qantas Dr this arvo. They informed me that the plans and paperwork, etc for the program have been sent to Canberra for review, but it could be a long wait until we see something solid.

I also signed up my interest to the program by providing the AFP personnel with my details.
Old 11th April 2010, 07:42 PM

Scot,
I'm very interested in this if anything does go ahead.
Feel free to pm me
Good to see something like this being proposed with the police, it would be great if something like this where car enthusiasts and police can work together. I mean, real car enthusiasts (equivalent to plane spotters) get hassled alot and the police do not respect the true car enthusiast - at least one of my hobbies is working well here hehe
Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by Chris Q; 11th April 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11th April 2010, 08:13 PM
Prolific Member

I hope by true car enthusiast you're not referring to a fully sick Hyundai Excel lowered with 19" rims and a 20" sub in the boot...

Anyway, I wouldn't hold your breath too long on this one...you'd all look a funny shade of purple by the time anything looks like getting done. Besides, communication from the original poster seems to have gone awefully quiet, awefully quickly.
Old 31st July 2012, 01:48 PM

Dragging this thread back up, but looks as though CBR has joined, whilst SYD will this Friday!

Quote:
TRAVELLERS and workers at Canberra Airport are being asked to report suspicious activity to the police as part of a new Airport Watch program aimed at thwarting terrorist attacks.
Canberra is the third airport after Brisbane and Perth to join the program, which is based on the Neighbourhood Watch program.

"This program will reduce the likelihood of serious crimes happening at our airport and enhance our ability to assess, respond and resolve any incidents, should they occur," Australian Federal Police (AFP) Canberra Airport Police Commander Andrew Clarke said on Tuesday.

Airport Watch complements the AFP's existing capabilities, such as the community policing and counter-terrorist first response capability, bomb appraisal officers and firearms and explosives detection dogs.

Sydney Airport will join the program on Friday.
Read more: news.com.au

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 31st July 2012, 03:50 PM
Prolific Member

I wonder if anyone held their breath waiting....? (see post above Bernie's)