Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2010, 03:35 PM

Anthony ... Thanks mate for taking all that time and effort in scanning and displaying your old shots . For "oldies" like me , who have been around and spotted aeroplanes for longer than I wish to think about , these photos are like a breath of fresh air , and bring back great memories at place like Heathrow , Gatwck etc .in the 60's ... My first commercial flight was on a Viscount from Birmingham to Guernsey . I still have vivid memories of that flight ... Oh those were the days !!! ...and with your shots , you have helped rekindle those days of magic .... Well done and thanks again ..

Dave C
Old 1st January 2010, 04:08 PM

Anthony, thanks very much for your great shots. It is good to see the VC10
again. I should start to scan in some pictures I took from 1991-1993 - lots of
Dc-10s and some TriStars. Lets start up the scanner ...
Thanks Mate!!!
Old 1st January 2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

Thanks Paul can now start searching a bit of history on those regos and what has become of them.
Old 27th November 2010, 09:08 AM

Thought I might add a few old slides taken at Sydney Airport in the late 80's to the thread. Sorry about the quality but you get what you pay for.

The Ambulance on the port side of the Air Caledonia B737 was a common occurrence when people from Noumea, requiring major surgery, were flown to Sydney for hospitalisation and treatment. Notice one of Nigel's co-workers on the job. Bay 3 at the ITB, didn't have an aerobridge and was mainly used for narrow bodied a/c and passengers boarded via stairs.

The small white building to the right of the Shorts 360 (Flying Block of Flats) was the Admin office for Airlines of NSW.

Not sure who owned Eastern when these photos were taken. Somebody with a more detail history Eastern might like to comment.

Cheers,

Noel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB B737.jpg (32.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Spirit of Cudal.jpg (33.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Eastern Dash 8.jpg (33.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Eastern Jetstream.jpg (32.7 KB, 88 views)

Noel White
Old 27th November 2010, 12:28 PM
Prolific Member

Air Caledonia still has regular (most flights) stretcher patient transfers. So nothing's changed in that regard.
Old 27th November 2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel White View Post
Not sure who owned Eastern when these photos were taken. Somebody with a more detail history Eastern might like to comment.
Would have been Australian judging by the colour scheme. I still miss that scheme... back from the days where you could have a major Australian airline without red in its colour scheme.
Old 27th November 2010, 06:18 PM

Anthony. AMAZING. Magic photos, of a fantastic era in aviation. A slide show night would be great. Really like the UTA, I dont remeber those colours, i remembered the blue tail and green doors. The first photo with 5 or so 707s in it bought a smile to my face, awesome.
Old 27th November 2010, 11:15 PM

Great photos. Takes me right back. On the subject of noise, in 1965 I flew on a BOAC Comet 3 London-Rome-Khartoum-Entebbe and that was truly loud. Returned on a British United VC-10 in one hop and the difference in ambient volume was huge...

And yes, i was a member of the Junior Jet Club too...
Old 28th November 2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert S View Post
Would have been Australian judging by the colour scheme. I still miss that scheme... back from the days where you could have a major Australian airline without red in its colour scheme.
Yep, all three (Sunstate, Australian Airlink and Eastern Australia) were Australian regional carriers in Australian livery. The engineering shed at work had (Or maybe it still has, not sure if it moved in the move) a large "Australian Engineering" banner hanging in the offices. Loved that Blue, Yellow and Green.
Old 28th November 2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks, sorry about that Chief. Thinking of who owned what at the time rather than taking note of the colour scheme.

Cheers,

Noel

Noel White