Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th August 2016, 07:54 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
I wonder is it a mandatory requirement for the Australian team athletes to be on the Team charter?

I would wonder since Brazil is so far away from Australia, wouldn't it be better if our athletes will spend some time touring around Brazil after the games before heading home?
Given there was 422 athletes and then a similar number of cling ons I would say no, it's not mandatory.
Old 24th August 2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan McKeever View Post
It won't get to SCL in time... in fact it'll arrive in SCL about 8hrs after the team's flight departs. OEG will be the team charter and OEJ will ops the extended QF27/28 which runs through to GIG on timings 24hrs behind the team charter.
What is the reason for the second aircraft heading to GIG, 24 hrs later? I'm assuming to bring the rest of the remaining personnel home, such as officials, media?? Only a guess, I'm probably completely wrong.

Cheers Jim
Old 24th August 2016, 08:29 AM

I read on facebook this morning, from a poster who generally knows what he's talking about, that the second GIG departure is bringing home the remaining members of the team (those who are coming straight home). But I've also heard it's an 'open' service, i.e. the public can buy tickets on it. Hence why OEG bringing the main contingent home used QF6032 (a charter flight number) and OEJ will use QF28 (the normal SCL-SYD flight).
Old 24th August 2016, 09:41 AM
Prolific Member

Policy on travel for athletes:

http://canoe.org.au/wp-content/uploa...licy_FINAL.pdf
Old 24th August 2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan McKeever View Post
I read on facebook this morning, from a poster who generally knows what he's talking about, that the second GIG departure is bringing home the remaining members of the team (those who are coming straight home). But I've also heard it's an 'open' service, i.e. the public can buy tickets on it. Hence why OEG bringing the main contingent home used QF6032 (a charter flight number) and OEJ will use QF28 (the normal SCL-SYD flight).
OEJ enroute to SCL - to then operate as QF28 correct
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA28
Old 25th August 2016, 10:58 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Qantas Olympic Team Welcome Home 24/8/2016 - Full Coverage

Duration 9min 22sec

If you missed the Qantas "Welcome Home" for the #Rio2016 Olympic Athletes on TV, or want to see a different view of the event, here is my coverage from Qantas Hangar 96 yesterday. Includes edits of the main welcome speeches and images of the Athletes.

If you love the "Queen of The Skies" watch the first 2min in Large Screen HD 1080p.

Watch Video
Old 25th August 2016, 11:31 PM
Prolific Member

There was a mention in the press that two athletes who were in hospital would be flying home a day later.

Also some of the athletes left early for example:

Javelin thrower got back to Perth with a busted shoulder early in the week.
Jess Fox visiting her old school with medals the day before the charter.
Old 26th August 2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
whet and spend their own money. i think not
Where's the "LIKE" button ?
Old 21st September 2016, 06:36 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

It looks like our Paralympic Team are on their way from Rio, with Qantas B744 VH-OEJ having departed Santiago as QF6032. The estimated arrival time is 0605L tomorrow morning.

This time the right aircraft will bring them home - VH-OEJ

Seen Here - VH-OEJ departing SYD for SFO, where it then went Tech and could not bring the Olympic Team home. VH-OEG was substituted at the last minute for the Olympic charter.