Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th December 2008, 12:07 PM

Being a Green Paper, it's all about saying... nothing. Have to wait for the Master Plan due out next year.

Interesting quote:
Quote:
Sydney Airport Corporation Limited argued that there was no need for a second Sydney airport, expressing confidence that capacity could be well-managed for the foreseeable future.
One would imagine that would only be SAC keeping an eye on the value of their company. If a second international airport was built, the value of SAC would fall.

Canberra Airport was mentioned, but would that be practical to be 'second' to Sydney?!

As for using Richmond, it depends what they want a second airport in Sydney for. 7000 feet and foggy half of winter limits it's options.

The railway was planned to be duplicated, but canned by the State due to money. Trains are infrequent now because there are no PAX to catch them anyway.

There was a pathway planned for the "Castlereagh Motorway" which would head in that direction from the M7, but RTA now have deleted those plans.

To use Richmond, where would the commercial terminal(s) go?!
You would have to downsize the RAAF dramatically.

To compare to Newcastle is impossible. Newcastle is a "regional" airport. The plans are looking for a second airport for the countries largest and busiest city. The plan would be at a guess looking at 20+ gates, any smaller and you might as well just have one airport.

The current flight line at Richmond is taken up by C130s, then visiting Orions and overseas military, there is not much room left.

Last edited by Jethro H; 4th December 2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 4th December 2008, 04:05 PM
Prolific Member

Does anyone know if the option of Madden's Plains on top of the escarpment between Wollongong and Appin has been considered?
Old 4th December 2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Does anyone know if the option of Madden's Plains on top of the escarpment between Wollongong and Appin has been considered?
Yep - too many revines and too much undulating ground to fill in.
Old 4th December 2008, 07:40 PM

...and more fog than an English winter
Old 4th December 2008, 08:34 PM
Prolific Member

The fog isn't that bad up there. I'd be lucky to get 10 foggy mornings in a year on the way to and from work.

Quote:
Yep - too many revines and too much undulating ground to fill in.
That wouldn't stop the Europeans or the Chinese!
Old 4th December 2008, 09:50 PM

A question since we are having a good discussion on the issue. What about YSSY as the primary domestic and a new airport to act as the new primary international, similar to overseas. Would that work?
Old 5th December 2008, 03:22 AM

Radi, I think the reverse would be a better option, with YSSY as the international airport and a new airport operating the domestics.

The reason I suggest this is because Sydney is already set up for the A380 and building a second airport with an equally capable runway would be somewhat money-wasting, especially if the A380-capable runway(s) at YSSY were only used for domestic ops.

I take it extending Bankstown wouldn't be an option or that would've been sonsidered already..

Is there any reason nobody suggested Heathcote? I've never actually been to Heathcote and am rather clueless about the area, so forgive me if this is utter stupidity, but on the map it appears to be a rather "vacant" area with sufficient access by road and closer to the current Sydney Airport than other alternatives.
Old 5th December 2008, 06:44 AM

The tough thing for any new Airport, particularly if it were to be for Domestic ops is the proxcimity to the CBD. One of the best things going for YSSY is how close it is to town. Straight away, anything else will be a disadvantage to domestic business travellers, probably the most frequent users of the port (my view and unsubstantiated, BTW)

Despite, the 380 thing already in place (really, anyone would think that Australian Aviation now revolves around the whalejet), I believe it would be better to relocate future International ops to a potentially new Airport further away.
Old 5th December 2008, 06:53 AM

How about.. shifting both domestic and international LCC ops to a new airport pretty much designed for LCC's and leaving full-service carriers @ YSSY?

That would allow Tiger to fly straight into a Sydney airport, along with other LCC's, and move Jetstar into that airport which would relieve some congestion (given then have quite a few arrivals/departures each day from YSSY).

Wouldn't be such a bad idea to move REX over as well, that would divert quite a few operations out of YSSY itself.
Old 5th December 2008, 08:25 AM

You would have to think that Richmond would be the best suited site in terms of location. Not to mention an existing runway and located in an area which has a low density population. Bankstown will never get off the ground, too many old folks there, retirees etc like my grandparents who will protest until their dentures fall out.