Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th January 2010, 03:48 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Default YSBK Bankstown - Sunday 10/1/2010

Between work and Christmas / New Year holidays, I have not been able to get out flying for about 6 weeks, so a quick run along the Northern Beaches was in order before a flight out to Bathurst next week.

Bankstown was absolutely quite at 7.30am today, the aircraft was already fueled, so I was away by 8am, no aircraft in the run up bays, and straight out to the 29R holding point. After an immediate clearance, I was tracking out via Parramatta and Hornsby to Mona Vale. Flying conditions were perfect, variable and 3kts on departure, and a smooth run all the way around.

As I tied down the Archer there a few gusts on wind to signal the southeasterly change, and very quickly there was a change to Runway 11LRC. The wind picked up quite quickly and combined with the heat, it would probably be a little bumpy during the afternoon.

Afterwards I had a walk around the airport to see if there was anything of interest, the Police and Rescue choppers were in and out, one of the Agusta 139s arrived on Runway 11L, and the Sky Cranes are always worth a close look.

Heading west from Mona Vale to Hornsby / Dural, the city was a fairly hazy view

The new golf ball shaped Dopler Weather Radar next to the Terry Hills "Pitch and Putt" course

DHC-2 VH-AAO - one without floats, a little unusual around Sydney

Lake LA-250 VH-WMW a nice go "Anywhere" aircraft as the logo implies.

Lake LA-250 VH-WMW a nice go "Anywhere" aircraft as the logo implies.

N194AC Erickson Sky Crane - these choppers look to be in better condition every time I see them

Bell 214B-1 N214JL (28066) 1980 model registered to Helicopter Express in Chamblee Georgia (Helitak 404)

Bell 214B-1 N214JL - the chord of the rotor blades just amazes me

N178AC Erickson Sky Crane lifting off after a long runup

N178AC Erickson Sky Crane on a Choppers North departure at 700ft, on their way out to Richmond.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 10th January 2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11th January 2010, 01:30 PM

was out their this morning very little traffic around. the choppers were nice to look at
Old 11th January 2010, 01:49 PM

Photo 2 - Saw that tower at Belrose when we drove to the beach the other week, now I know what it is, thanks
Old 11th January 2010, 08:20 PM

If you go to the BOM site, and radars, it is worth looking for the Terry Hills radar, http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR713.loop.shtml#skip it has the doppler radar available on the web, first time for the Sydney basin. Look for the Doppler Wind button.

Once you lean to read it you can watch wind changes as they advance. Pretty cool!