Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th July 2014, 12:29 PM

Default What does the future hold for Malaysian airlines

as we all now know Malaysian airlines has now lost two aircraft in a matter of months and many lives have been lost. Because of these two incidents surely Malaysian airlines Passenger numbers will plummet and many people will be too afraid to fly with them.

My question is what will Malaysian airlines do to try and get back to the standards it was at and stop the airline from going bankrupt?
Old 18th July 2014, 01:10 PM

I was only saying to a colleague this morning how pleased I was the media hadn't felt it necessary to draw any link to MH370 whatsoever except, as she pointed out, to say that there was no link.

MH17 is something so far removed from the airline's control. It's an event that could easily have happened to any other carrier - yes, including Qantas because it could just as easily have happened over Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Libya etc. This point serves to reinforce my next point which is that, while definitely very tragic, this is also (touch wood it stays this way) an isolated event - how many flights (regardless of carrier, aircraft type, etc) pass over or near politically unstable nations every day, and how many of those are shot down.

MH didn't cause MH17, and the travelling public will no doubt realise that. So the effect on MH in that sense should be relatively limited, compared to MH370. The bigger issue is adjusting to the loss of two longhaul aircraft and what that will mean in terms of the services they're able to offer. That said, there are 777s about to come away from their current operators, such as EK, SQ, maybe CX, so the adjustment might be less temporary than first thought.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:17 AM

Unbelievable bad luck for Malaysian. I hope there is not fallout from the paying passengers for this but I fear there may be judging by unsolicited (extremely small sample size) conversations with friends and colleagues
Old 19th July 2014, 10:07 AM

Even after MH370 and travelling on them little over 2 weeks ago from Brisbane on MH134/135, I was pleasantly surprised to see load factors above 90% on both flights, which says something that the general public isn't afraid to fly with them. Their safety record prior to the incidents in 2014 has been of excellent quality. I wish MH all the best for the future and hope that they can get over these hardships without a big financial hit.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:42 AM

How are they going to go bankrupt when the holding companies are government owned? Please, just answer me that...

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 19th July 2014, 12:54 PM

Just a question to throw out there, now that they have lost two 777's would that put a strain (fatigue life or mechanically) on other aircraft within the long haul fleet that have to make up the sudden loss of airframes?

Military: MV-22B, KC-30A, KC-10A, C-17A, C-27J, S-70A-1, C-2B, PC-21.
Old 19th July 2014, 04:33 PM

Can't really see how Jaryd... they still have to adhere to their maintenance schedules and I doubt there's all that much fat in the scheduling for the remaining longhaul fleet. If anything I would imagine MH would have to be reducing its longhaul flying to compensate for the reduction in capacity.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Here's an AP article which addresses the question of this post.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BRO BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSO MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
29-30JUN LAS-FAT-LAS WN/G4
03-09JUL LAS-MAN/LHR-LAS VS
13-14JUL LAS-DTW-LAS WN/DL
20-21JUL LAS-DEN-CPR-DEN-LAS UA
27-28JUL LAS-YVR/YCD-YVR-LAS AC/WS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS WN/F9
10-11AUG LAS-LAX-JAC-SLC-LAS UA/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
24-25AUG LAS-SLC/EKO-SLC-LAS DL
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
06-08SEP LAS-ANC-ADQ-ANC-LAS AS
14-16SEP LAS-CLT-LAS AA
20-22SEP LAS-DEN-XWA-LAS UA/SY
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
02-03NOV LAS-SAN/TIJ-LAS WN/Y4
07-12NOV LAS-DUB-LAS EI
28NOV-02DEC LAS-OGG-MKK-HNL-LAS HA/9X
19DEC-05JAN LAS-LAX/MSY-MIA UA/AA
01-02FEB LAS-SEA-LAS AS
15-18FEB LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 22nd July 2014, 02:17 AM

Even though MH17 is of no fault by the airline it seems, I presume there will still be many of people that may not fly them because they are jinxed or things happen in 3 etc. So I am sure it will have an effect on confidence - at least in the short term and while MH370's fate is still not known.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Morrison View Post
or things happen in 3 etc.
A work colleague's in-laws believe this, and have forced their daughter and son-in-law to change flights off Malaysian. Mind you, for the extra $200 they are now on QF with a more direct flight and effectively adding a day to their holiday.

But it seems really stupid otherwise.

Read in the Fairfax press that one option is for the Government to take MH fully private. Of course another is just to let it fail but that would involve a massive loss of face.