Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd July 2009, 11:41 AM

Default British Airways Terrace Lounge Access

Hi Folks,
Travelling to London in August and we have a 4 hour layover in LHR. I am travelling with my wife and 2 kids (aged 2 and 5).
I am a member of the QF Club so I called QF to see about access into the British Airways lounges in LHR but was advised to call BA.
I called BA and the operator in Bangalore only could read parrot fashion from a computer.

I know the website says member + 1 guest - however my question was do I need to buy a Partner Membership or does BA act like Qantas and just accept as an unwritten rule, kids of members upto an age of 18.

Has anyone had any experience with getting kids in the terrraces lounges?

Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:57 AM

There have been a few posts on ft and aff that suggest they are much more strict in the rule enforcement.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:40 PM

I suggest posting here, you might be able to get an answer much quciker. Sorry I could not help you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...ent-flyer-498/
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:28 PM

I can't comment about kids as extras, but in my experience at LHR they do tend to be strict. I have had to ask for a supervisor to gain access to the F lounge despite OneWorld Emerald membership and flying an OW airline.

However, I've seen a bending of the rules at the Terraces lounge at Narita. My wife was flying BA to LHR, but I was flying NW to ICN. However they allowed me to join her in their lounge. Also I've been able to take extra guests with me at Gatwick

Sometimes it is the luck of the moment and can depend on how busy the lounge is at that time, your OneWorld status, or even how fidgitty your kids are at the end of the QF flight whilst you are requesting the additional access. If you really need access to the lounge, then follow the rules and have a partner membership for your wife. If it isn't important, then take the risk and spend those extra dollars a nice meal when you get to your final destination.
Miles: 651,193; Hours: 1,484:43; Flights: 526; Routes; 218; Airports: 101; Airlines: 47; Countries:27
Old 1st September 2009, 08:28 AM

Just an update on what happened.

I purchased for my wife a partner membership before we left Sydney. My idea was however to only present my card and then only if asked would I present the partner card. Here are the results:

1. Joint QF/BA lounge in Bangkok - Acceped my card and allowed wife and 2 children access
2. BA Lounge, Terminal 5 at Heathrow - Only by producing wife card was wife and 2 children allowed access. The gent at the desk was getting excited about the possibility of a refusal until the card was produced. The scrutiny here for all other guests was also tight.
3. BA Lounge, Edinburgh - Was advised of the limitaiton of just one guest but was allowed in.
4. BA Lounge in Terminal 4 at Heathrow - Again, was advised only one guest per card, staff member advised that access eligibility was being tightly enforced across all BA lounges at Heathrow owing to capacity issues. I decided to try and persuade staff member to accept us owing to the fact that the kids are really 1 kid and 1 infant but still was denied on the one card.
Now, I was on QF32 which is the only departure of either any QF or BA service from Terminal 4 and the lounge was dead!
5. Joing QF/BA lounge at Singapore - Accepted just my card.